The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do non depressives understand depression?

+3
jaffakiwi
Bluebird1
Apricot
7 posters

Go down

Do people understand depression and its offshoots if they do not suffer from it?

Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_lcap0%Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_lcap33%Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 4 ]
Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_lcap67%Do non depressives understand depression? Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 12

Do non depressives understand depression? Empty Do non depressives understand depression?

Post by Apricot Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Im suddenly aware of some of my friends attitude toward depression....and it doesnt feel great.

bounce
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Do non depressives understand depression? Empty Re: Do non depressives understand depression?

Post by Bluebird1 Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 am

I think it is hard to understand if a person has never experienced it. Even for the most knowledgeable person who has read all the literature and talked to lots of people who suffer depression can really imagine that dark place. I am so thankful I haven't visited it for a long long time and find physical illness much easier to cope with.
Bluebird1
Bluebird1

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Do non depressives understand depression? Empty Re: Do non depressives understand depression?

Post by jaffakiwi Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:12 am

A facebook "friend" recently got upset when I called him ignorant. He had made a comment to me that "depressed people just need to get laid and harden the fuck up".

Needless to say, we are not "friends" anymore.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:00 am

if only it were that simple!.. While I've been here ( probably nearly a year now) I've learned a bit about what you all go through, through reading your posts and reading the net.. Its much worse than I have to deal with and it makes me grateful to not have to deal with it myself. I cant tell you how grateful. But it also has tought me that what I go through is just as valid. While the black hole that I have visited doesn't last as long or go as deep, its still scary and numbing and I am learning that It has to be fought, and then it backs off a bit faster. wallowing in it is soo tempting but it prolongs the agony for me, and those around me. I have learned to see it coming and know when it has moved on.

I dont pretend to know how feel. I'm scared for you and wish I could wrap you all in cotton wool until it all feels better.

One thing that i find intriguing is John Kirwan and his book, which I am about to read. I get the impression he thinks you can get better. That its not a life sentence, and I'm hoping that will be true for me. One day I wont have to take any pills to get through a day with out undue stress and anxiety.

For so many people here that cant be true. The need to rely on and continue with taking medicine will persist your whole lives through.
The strength of character this requires keeps me in awe of you all.

best wishes
Donna

Last edited by wowinnz on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling of course!)

Back to top Go down

Post by DocLazy Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:25 am

They have some idea, but they can't really get a proper understanding of what it's like without being depressed themselves. Because there's no physical symptoms, it's very hard for other people to put themselves in your shoes. You could try explaining to them what it's like by using an analogy. For example, depression for me is very similar to having a fever, except I don't have the physical symptoms of a fever. But I do have all the mental symptoms, I have no energy to do anything and it's hard to enjoy stuff, all I want to do is lie on the couch and watch crap on tv. That's the best analogy I can think of for what depression feels like to me.

I like to think it's possible to overcome depression. In my case it's going to take a lot of work and life changes to make happen though. Lucky (or is it unlucky) for me I've kind of hit rock bottom. Which gives me more freedom to take risks like finding a career that will allow me to work around my depression. At the moment I'm looking for the right medication, I've had some success but some of the side effects are a problem. Right now it is sleeping way too much.

DocLazy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by oodlesauck Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Re : Do non depressives understanding depression
Some people do, My DH does & he goes thru his own sort of hell helping me. He always says welcome back when I am out of it. I am very selective now who I share my condition with as there are so many judgemental people out there that I can't cope with that at the time. After wards sometimes I can share, do it mainly to help educate people around what it is like etc
I have had recurring depression for 28 years now. I like to think I am in recovery, what ever that means. I take daily meds but it doesn't stop me going into a down ward slide several times a year. In the past I have been psychotic & manic in the past but not for years I can't work outside of doing a smallish role in our family business. Tried to do paid work but end up having to leave cos of becoming unwell. I am very lucky as I have never been in hosp due to my hubby's support. Some times my loved ones feel helpless but they do understand.

oodlesauck

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

For me its like having an amputated limb with the phantom pains that go with it.

I can easily remember the Martine with the self-confidence, courage, laughter and the pure joy of living, but she is no longer here though the memories of her are.

What is left is a cynical, mis-trusting sad woman just grieving for what once was. I don't think I will be able to ever come off anti depressants because even on them I slide very easily into the darkness and fear.
I have been living with depression acutely and sub-acutely for a year but not cured or feeling "better".

Good on John Kirwan if he believes he can get "better". At least he can be miserable in luxury.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm

I dont think we ever understand what other people live with, how they think, how and why they react , and what choices they make.

'non depressives' still do things that are considered crazy, and irrational.. just look closely at a teenager!..

whether its developmental, chemical or whatever. we all need strength to get through each day. We all need to hold on to hope. What else is there?

Back to top Go down

Post by JaeBee Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:59 am

I'd find it hard to understand too if I didn't suffer from it. They can't comprehend not having control over something thats in your mind. It is a hard concept

JaeBee

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum