The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taser used in self inflicted injury case

5 posters

Go down

Taser used in self inflicted injury case Empty Taser used in self inflicted injury case

Post by Guest Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 am

When taser were first introduced there was concerns that they would be used on the mentally unwell in times of crisis to gain control of the situation. Despite reasurances this was not the case it seems to have happened.

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10651630&ref=rss

Back to top Go down

Taser used in self inflicted injury case Empty Re: Taser used in self inflicted injury case

Post by Martine Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 am

The line will prolly be that the police couldn't disarm him therefore were in fear for their own lives and it was self defence.

This isn't the first time tasers have been used on mentally unwell people here or in Australia. Someone died a week or so back in a seclusion room in Australia having been tasered, a young chap in his twenties high on amphetamines.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Taser used in self inflicted injury case Empty Re: Taser used in self inflicted injury case

Post by Paddy Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:23 am

Not a happy situation, is it?

I know I can not stand, hand on heart and promise I won't ever be involved in any situation where a Tasering is a potential outcome.

Its not so much the waste of electricity that concerns me, for me;
Its what would thrashing around like a stranded fish, do for me already fucked neck and back?

Yeah gee ta, save me from me and make me permanently numb from the chin down at the same time, why dontchya. That would really impress me Officer. Not.

I wonder if NZ Police have a 'DO NOT TASER THIS PERSON' list? Can I put me name in for it please?
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I dont know bout this....Police arent trained in mental illness and if they came across someone with dangerous weapons (mental illness or not)...what choice do they have? They have a responsibility to protect the public and imagine if this guy hurt someone else....the police would be crucified for it. At the end of the day they prevented him from further hurting himself or anyone else...what choice did they have?

.imstillstanding.

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:30 am

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't mean to be flippant but it sounds like the cops saved this guys life. An arterial bleed is serious sh*t and had he not got quick treatment he would be dead....If he had died then people would be saying "Why did the cops not do anything?"

.imstillstanding.

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I don't see any problem here either

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:22 am

I think tasers are better then cops carring guns. I wish the people could be handle different.

I have had it where I have been very uncontrollable, But I am happy I
responded to pepper spray! A cop has pulled a taser on me, I am happy i didnt need it. Due to knowing the police officers, and them knowing what to say to me.

I think police need to be trained in mental illness. I have BPD. its alot easier just to say I have BiPolar. coz they kinda know what that means. one cop said to me, "I cant wait until we have cages in the back for THINGS like you" Sad
woppow
woppow

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum