The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home made cleaners

Go down

Home made cleaners Empty Home made cleaners

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:27 am

They are better for the environment and for those who have allergies. As we have a family of allergies I am interested in this and have tried a couple of things after seeing a episode of 'how clean is your house' where they were also at a family with severe allergies.

So I set out on my way to search out a few 'things' and this is what I am using currently,

Clothes washing powder

Take 1 cake of either sard soap or sunlight soap and either chop it up for the food processor or grate it up. If you have a food processor then put it in this and set it so it resembles 'powder'.

Add to this about 1/2 a cup to a cup of Washing crystals (I think that is what they are called) and really give it a grind. If you don't have a food processor just mix the crystals in with the grated soap.

Voila, there you have it. I tend to make alot of it and use a half and half mix of the two soaps, sard is expensive otherwise and I don't like the smell of the sunlight soap.

I use about a tablespoon or two (depending on wash size) and use white vinegar in the conditioner part of the washing machine.

This is not suitable for front loaders.

For Cleaning in General

I use a really strong mix - 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water. Used on windows, glass, surfaces etc. For the real hard stuff I use baking soda with a little water to make a paste.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Back to top Go down

Home made cleaners Empty Re: Home made cleaners

Post by Paddy Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 am

ML, a question mate?

Are you making the quantity you need as you go, for each wash day (you have boys, so that might be often) or are you able to build up a supply that don't go solid or mushy or Bang or whatever chemcals do?
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 am

I tend to go through one quantity a week (ie a double batch). Our washing machine is a big bugga - a 9kg one!

We probably do umm around 10 odd washes a week...bloody boys and husband..

dirty sods haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum