The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overdose article - paracetmol (sp)

3 posters

Go down

Overdose article - paracetmol (sp) Empty Overdose article - paracetmol (sp)

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10592775

I know when I have od my cocktail of drugs has included painkillers as they are easily on hand. A side effect og this is I can no longer take paracetmol as it is ineffective now.

Back to top Go down

Overdose article - paracetmol (sp) Empty Re: Overdose article - paracetmol (sp)

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks Ros, interesting article.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately because I've noticed a few people from this site have had suicidal thoughts recently.

I think I've come to conclusion that if somebody REALLY wants to kill themselves, they will find a way. Restricting sales of things like panadol really just make things harder for those who use it appropriately.

What do others think? Particularly those who have had suicidal thoughts recently. Will you be any less likely to do it if you coulnd't buy panadol at the supermarket?

JK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 am

Yes Jaffa

If someone is really intent on taking their life there is no way of stopping them. There are a million ways that one can harm oneself and if one way is not avaliable they may find another way.

I think part of the issues is access to painkillers in high doses. Until a few years ago you could only buy pain killers in packs of 20 due to similar concerns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am

I think things are getting way too regulated. Some people are going to abusve every possible thing. Surely some things should be personal responsibility instead of us all suffering and being inconvenienced because of others stupidity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Bluebird,

Have you ever got to the point where you have self harmed , had suicidal ideanations or attempted to take your life?

I am a very intellagent, bright person and have attempted to take my life on a number of occasions, I don't see myself as stupid or see my acts as acts of stupidity.

A couple of my attempts were acts of desperiation, one was while I was in a rational space but lost a lot. My self harm has been more out of inner pain or frustration.

Overdoses and suicide attempts are not acts of stupidity they are in responce to a persons reaction to events and their ability to cope. It is an act of people who are lost and hurting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 pm

I see what you are saying Ros, but I also agree with Bluebird1, a small minority should not spoil things for the majority.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:22 am

Roswell I was in no way trying to minimise people in pain and totally understand a person wanting to take their own life, I have felt that way too and I work almost exclusively with people in that position. Panadol is not a very effective way to take a life and most people end up very very sick and often with incurable problems with organs. The only person I have looked after who tried to sucide with paracetomol was 14 and it is unclear what her motive for taking them actually was.

Back to top Go down

Post by _wizza_ Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:40 pm

thats a very interesting article, and im sorry to bump this up to the top!
Although ive attempted sucide twice, ive never even thought about taking a panadol overdose. my drug of choice(s) were sleeping pills and coidene, both of which i thank god my mother found me and took me to the hospital. and i would never consider panadol as a sucide method (not that i ever want to experience that again) and i think what scares me the most about the panadol is, if it doesnt work it can ruin your liver etc (of all things, i think about what if it fails) i dont know, that just my opinion
_wizza_
_wizza_

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:48 am

That is pretty much what I think too Wizza. So few people look on it as an option for suicide and it is an effective, cheap, pain relief if you go for the supermarket brands. If they became more restricted and only sold through pharmacies then it may become too expensive for low income people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:46 am

it could raise awareness I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:45 am

I think the the reason it is often found in the cocktail of drugs often taken is it is so easily accessable, it is in most homes.

The discussion is talking about restricting access not putting the price up. I would imangine that they may be looking at pain killers being avaliable from the pharmacy only.

I accept it will be a pain, nothing worse than a late night headach and finding no painkillers in cupboard.

I currently have no concrete view on this

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:18 am

neither do i ros, re the concrete view

like the anti smacking bill, there are pro's and con's ay?

have a good day

Back to top Go down

Post by OliviaHeartsMo Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:27 am

iv read that artical befor..i recon its pretty easy to get iv OD-ed 2wice n both times iv used panadol,asprin,panadean,paracetamol..ect i would of thought that being 14 and bringing a numourse amount of packets up to the counter would seem a little strange..i brought up to 170 tablets worth and the sales person didnt even act different of ask..i recon its extemely easy to get .
But DEFENTLY makes you feel horrible..i was sick for three weeks and all i could do was lay there couldnt drink much cuz just throw it up couldnt eat much, lost heaps of weight, doctors thought i was showing early signs of bulimia cuz i just couldnt hold and thing down...yehhh not fun.
OliviaHeartsMo
OliviaHeartsMo

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:20 am

perhaps it needs a 'black box' warning....'o.d on this and chances are you will only feel so sick you wish you had died, or, once you have come to the realisation that oding on this was a bad idea - it will be too late - your liver will be destroyed...' not in those words obviously Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Mere.Kat Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:40 am

definatly ive tryed to od on panadol and i couldnt walk very far for about a week.i felt sooooo sick and terrible.for some reason my eyes stung and even my nose was stinging.the most terrible experience.i think maybe an age limit on buying it?because i would say chances are that the older you are the more you would know about such drugs.i didnt know how ineffective and pain ful it was.and i was 15.although i didnt go out and buy the pills these were ones from home.
Mere.Kat
Mere.Kat

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down