The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stencils 'n stuff

3 posters

Go down

Stencils 'n stuff Empty Stencils 'n stuff

Post by Paddy Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 am

Has anyone used alphabetical stencils in art work? What didja do?

I have a hankering to 'paint' some of my poetry but painting freehand text drives me up the wall. I get impatient and after about the third letter, I just give up.

So, I thought I might buy multiple copies of a stencil set, cut them up into individual letters and give that a go. (Memo to self. Look out for fingers!)

I splashed out on a couple of sets of 10mm lettering stencils and have ordered some more (I ran outta cash about the same time they ran outta stock, fortunately) and although it will be a while before I have enough individual letters to actually do anything, sheesh, its fun to be planning and imagining stuff again. cheers

So, what are you guys doing, art wise?

I'd love to learn more about lettering and stencil cutting and stuff like that; print making - anything really that doesn't involve painting a freakn picture that actually looks like anything, 'cos I can't - so if you have some tips on stencilling or examples to show off, I'd love to see them?

Thanks,
Pat. Very Happy
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Stencils 'n stuff Empty Re: Stencils 'n stuff

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Hmm Paddy, maybe this is a first for this board? Maybe you could set a challenge for the artists here to help you to find out?

Do you have a local art and crafts store you could ring and find out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 am

Wooho, I got six more sets of stencils today and orderedd two more sets for next week - different sizes etc.

Then, its find a way to cut them up into individual letters, whilst not cutting myself and then, it is figure out what comes next, time. But I'll worry about that when the time comes.

I know what I want to do, but I'm a bit stuck on how to apply the paint thru the stencils; I'm leaning towards a wee hand held air spraygun thingy like what model makes use. 'Cept, I aint got one of those. I do have some straws tho, and it occurs to me that as long as one remembers to squeeze the tip and blow and not suck, that might work. Or not.

Its fun thinking about projects tho. Its probably just as well that I'm skint 'cos if I had all the bits and pieces I reckon I need, then I'd have to actually start on the art thingy. And I suspect I'm better at planning it than executing it, doh. cheers
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:59 am

Hello Pat, I don't know if this is what you mean exactly - but I have done some stencilling - on terracotta pots, floorboards - but not letters - got books from the Library. If doing them with a paintbrush the secret is to use an almost 'dry' brush - not much paint at all - second coat if necessary - practise on paper? and make a sort of stabbing thing with brush - make sure stencils are attached fairly firmly to what ever you're trying to stencil (with tape). Don't want the paint 'bleeding' (through side of letter) onto the paper or whatever you're stencilling. I used kitchen towel paper, like blotting paper, to take excess paint off brush. Very little paint is necessary.

or this is just occurring to me - if it's letters - what about felt pens - I don't know - I'm no artist - if only Poetry was here, she'd be able to help you I'm sure. Others are sure to have more ideas. Good on you for having a go!

Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by britelite Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 am

ok...I am most definately NOT arty but...

just put my thinking cap on and came up with the idea of using a sponge instead of a brush to apply the paint...then you would just sort of squish the paint on...which for me would mean I could control the amount of paint better

not sure if it would be the right way to go though...just a thought
britelite
britelite

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 am

how did you get on Paddy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content