The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health thread

Go down

Health thread Empty Health thread

Post by Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 am

VERTIGO

POSTING FOR A MEMBER I love you

Taken info from Wikipedia

Vertigo (from the Latin vertigin-, vertigo, "dizziness," originally "a whirling or spinning movement," from vertō "I turn"[1]) is a specific type of dizziness, a major symptom of a balance disorder. It is the sensation of spinning or swaying while the body is actually stationary with respect to the surroundings.
The effects of vertigo may be slight. It can cause nausea and vomiting and, in severe cases, it may give rise to difficulties with standing and walking

Causes:
Vertigo is usually associated with a problem in the inner ear balance mechanisms (vestibular system), in the syndrome and Meniere's disease. In most cases vertigo does not cause long term effect, but there have been cases of oversedation at the patients room. (sleepnea)
Discontinuation of antidepressant medication, also known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome can result in a wide variety of withdrawal symptoms. Vertigo is a frequently found symptom, along with brain shivers, insomnia, nausea, confusion, imbalance, sweating, and many more as withdrawal symptoms are different for each individual.
Transient vertigo can be caused by inflammation of the inner ear due to the common cold, influenza, and bacterial infections. Vertigo can also occur after long flights or boat journeys where the mind gets used to turbulence, resulting in a person's feeling as if he or she is moving up and down. This usually subsides after a few days. Another source of vertigo is through exposure to high levels of sound pressure, rattling the inner ear and causing a loss of balance. Consumption of alcohol can also cause vertigo.

flower

Back to top Go down

Health thread Empty Re: Health thread

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks,

I've had vertigo before and it is hideous!

I had it during a bout of labrinthytus!

Back to top Go down