The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooking

+3
daze7
woppow
Paddy
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cooking - Page 2 Empty Re: Cooking

Post by .imstillstanding. Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 am

how bout a bit of onion Paddy? It'l give you a bit more time before anything burns!
Otherwise, a nice big 'blob' of tomato sauce or relish or whatever condiment you prefer will give you a bit more time to 'potter' (I do the same - dread to think of the number of times i've nearly burned the house down due to inattention!) Set the oven timer!!!

.imstillstanding.

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:26 am

I googled up this fine dish, and cooked it today and survived!!! Nice vege recipe. I'm really enjoying cooking, something i was very much 'into', oh well my new hobby for awhile, sure beats those ouch days, not being able to fend for myself......

Anyway, this is a cooking thread so.......

Spinach and Chickpea Curry

2 tsp canola oil (any)
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped (added extra later - season to taste)
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger (added extra later -season to taste)
2 to 3 medium potatoes, or 250g kumara ( I added some pumpkin as well)
cut into 1cm cubes
2 to 3 tsp curry powder (mild or hot to taste)
1/2 to 1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
2 to 3 bay leaves (I didn’t add these-don’t like them J)
250g package frozen spinach, thawed
400g can whole tomatoes in juice
310g can chickpeas, drained (I bashed these up a bit - don’t like them whole)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water, if required ( tiz required)
2 tsp garam masala (wow go easy on this stuff!)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and stir fry until the onion has softened and is turning clear. Add the cubed potatoes or kumara, curry powder, cumin seeds (if using) and bay leaves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the spinach with its liquid and the tomatoes in juice. Crush and break up the tomatoes, then stir in the drained chickpeas.
Simmer the mixture gently for 15 minutes, or until the potato cubes are tender, adding a little water if the mixture begins to look too dry. When the potatoes are cooked, add the garam masala, season to taste, and add the chopped coriander leaves.

Next time: I would add more pumpkin& kumara. (Note Kumera - zap in the microwave beforehand, takes awhile to cook otherwise Smile

flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:50 am

Paddys Patent Mince Meals – Never Known To Fail.

I developed and then perfected this ‘recipe’ in the last half of 2009 and I can honestly say, it has not failed me yet. A perfect feed of hot savoury mince, every time.

Write this down, it’s a goodun…

1. Let it be known that one loves Mince on Toast.
2. Let it be known that one is a pitiful cook
3. Abandon Pride, and simply,
4. Wait.

I’ve enjoyed a couple of good feeds of hot mince on toast since developing this recipe. True, ya never quite know when it’s going to arrive, but pffft, that’s Friends for ya – for ever unreliable on the Mince-Front, aye.

Makes one appreciate it all the more however, so the wait is worth it. If ya have other stuff to sustain ya in between deliverys, that is. (That is a coded message to friends. I'm getting hungry again, lol). Embarassed
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Paddy have you thought about getting a slow cooker? They are designed to be forgotton about and there is bound to be a way to cook savoury mince in a slowcooker that would just involve "put all the ingredients in the cooker, turn it on, come back 6 hours later and eat it".

A quick look at recipe sites would suggest that if you don't brown the mince first it goes a bit mushy. So maybe that wouldn't work if it's during the browning bit that you get bored and start doing something else (I do that too). But if it isn't then I would totally recommend you think about one. My supermarket has them so they must be down into the affordable range as well.

(disclaimer: I just got my new slowcooker and am totally in love with it. That may be why I am a bit evangelical about it right now)
Anita
Anita

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:32 am

wanted to share this with you guys....I invited friends for dinner then thought - sh&t! what will i cook?! anyways, as a side dish and garnish for the salad I cut courgettes into matchstick size, shook them in a bowl with flour and different herbs and spices then quickly stir-fried them in olive oil until golden and served with plain yoghurt - my buddies loved them! they thought they were super flash but they were cheap and easy as - the best kind Very Happy

.imstillstanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

.imstillstanding. wrote:wanted to share this with you guys....I invited friends for dinner then thought - sh&t! what will i cook?! anyways, as a side dish and garnish for the salad I cut courgettes into matchstick size, shook them in a bowl with flour and different herbs and spices then quickly stir-fried them in olive oil until golden and served with plain yoghurt - my buddies loved them! they thought they were super flash but they were cheap and easy as - the best kind Very Happy

YUM!

That sounds awesome. I am totally trying that one.
Anita
Anita

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 am

Ok guys, had another wee kitchen delight tonight.....roast vege - potato, parsnip, carrot, onion and pumpkin with olive oil and herbs then put these in a crepe brushed with basil pesto and cheese with a salad on the side...looked pretty fancy if i do say so myself. (took me 2 disatrous crepes to figure out how to cook them right! and I considered biffing the whole idea, but hey, all good in the end!)
My guests were most impressed! yummo - simple, no fuss (once I figured out the whole crepe thing!) and cheap as - the best kind!

.imstillstanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2