The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newbie with questions...many..(-;

+2
Paddy
logical-cents
6 posters

Go down

newbie with questions...many..(-; Empty newbie with questions...many..(-;

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:51 am

hi there, have been lurking for a couple of hours this afternoon and wanted to join up to say hi, thanks!, and hopefully get some info and add something positive to this 'community'...

i have been 'living with' (i use the term living loosely, sometimes existing, sometimes barely hanging on and sometimes singing despite it Very Happy )
depression for quite some years now...
what i really wanted to know at this stage, and get opinions about was....ahem....

others experience of the mental health system...
others experience of different meds...especially 'last line' stuff, when many many others have had little/no effect..
what you all do to get you through the dark,lonely nights of the soul when it all seems just too hard...

so greedy! on here for 2 minutes and already want stuff Laughing

what really gets me at the moment is the impression from mh staff that anyone suffering mh issues is stuck on a benefit, basically being a loser, with no potential to ever do anything better...now, obviously this isnt everyone, (my currrent case worker is great-shock horror!) but it has been the impression i have got so many times that i wonder if anyone else has felt similar?
i am currently studying, which is really challenging, both in terms of doing it with this dreadful illness and content wise... when (if) i finish i would be a 'professional'...i have had mh staff say to me is it a good idea to do it (a thinly veiled dig at my abilities...) and basically saying that even if i were to succeed, who would want to employ me...opinions? please?!

anyways, i wont make too big a first post or keeping asking for things!!
i really appreciate the chance to 'talk' with people who 'get it'...thanks!

Back to top Go down

newbie with questions...many..(-; Empty Re: newbie with questions...many..(-;

Post by logical-cents Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 am

Hi there imstillstanding

First of welcome to the site and out family here. Everyone is very supportive of each other, and the best thing is that everyone here understands where you are coming from.

Right in order to try answer your questions, the first one I can't really help with as I'm not 'in' the mental health system as such as they don't think I qualify or what ever.

Medications: in regards to these I've been on a few different ones. Aropax which didn't work. Citralopam which again didn't work. Amitrip, another one that didn't work. Fluox which worked but caused extreme nervousness, panic/anxiety attacks and shakiness which unfortunately though I've been off it for 2 1/2 months I still suffer from but not as bad. I am now on Effexor-XR again, which is working most of the time.

To be honest I don't really know how I get through the nights/days sometimes. This site though does help. During the days that I don't work I try to go for a walk which helps a little bit, other than that I'm probably not much help.

I too have been told by my doctor that I could go on a benefit, but don't listen to the people that tell you that's all your good for. I was diagnosed at 15, left school at 16, done couple of computer course over 2 years, got first full time job at 17, was there for nearly 3 years, and now have another full time job, which meant moving 3 hours away from family but have been here for 18months now and am studying a certificate in retail. It is a real struggle at times, but luckily both companies have been really good. And the management where I am now are great. You can succeed in anything you want to, don't let others put you off.

Well I think I've wrote enough for now lol. Hope it helps in some way.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 am

thank you for taking the time the time to respond and share with me and others!)- appreciate it!
good luck with your studies - they really give you something outside of yourself (and that whole negative internal dialogue thing) to focus on and even sometimes feel hopeful about! im really determined to give it the best damn shot, its been really really hard lately but im gonna give it everthing! sometimes the thought of graduation ( a long way away yet) and doing the bird and a big 'f**k you!' to everyone who thinks im nothing and useless is what gets me through-lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 am

Its no trouble imstillstanding. I've learnt over the years to tell the truth about myself, it is then up to the person how they react and any reaction is their own problem, I am who I am. But good thing bout here no-one is judging anyone. Good luck with your studies too. Do you mind me asking what you are studying?
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 am

ive sent you a msg.. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:09 am

imstillstanding,

Welcome to The Big Black Dog Message Board. Thanks for choosing to join us and good on you for your Posts. I hope that you continue to use this place in ways that might help.

My own experiences of 'the system'? Mixed.

I've been doing this Me Vs. Me style since Dec 06 when the system decided I and It didn't need each other. This place is part of my coping strategy. The rest consists of fingers tightly crossed. Hope springs eternal. Or something.

I don't use psych meds, but I do use the 'Lala Technique.'

When my brain gets too noisy, I say, very loudly, Lalalalalalala, until it annoys me so much, I forget what I was agitating myself over.

Anyway, Welcome.

Pat.
cheers

P.S. I forgot to mention - we have a Chat Room here too - its visable at the foot of the Home Page when you're logged in at TBBD.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:25 am

Hi,In relation to your question bout ones experience with the mental health system, it is different for everyone. Most of my experiences have been negative and I have not been able to access the help and support that I have required when I require it. I have little/no faith in the system but that does not mean you shouldn't have faith. In saying that I have had a couple of good counsellors and psychologists.In terms if meds, different meds work for different people and each person reacts differently. I have been on a number of different anti d's over the years. Just be aware that the longer you are on the meds the more likely you are to build up a resistance to them.As for trying to get through the hard nights etc, I don't have any set advice. I have a soft toy I sometimes cuddle up to (yes, I know sad for a 27 yo male). I also sometimes turn to drink but thats is instead of cutting. I am not advocating it but....Study is harrd when you are unwell. I study pyschology and counselling at Massey. What are you studying and who with? Do they have a disability support office? If so go talk to them. Just study as much as you can and try not beat yourself up if you have to take some time off or have a break.You can/will be able to work once you have completed your studys. If you are stable enough you will be able to work full-time. I was able to for a couple of years. I have been out of the workforce so may go back part time soon. You may be able to get work through Workbridge but have not had much luck with them, there is support work organisations depending on where in NZ you are and Winz have a couple of work placement programes.

As for being on the benifit don't beat yourself up, if you need it use it. Well thats what I am currently learning.

Sorry for the long length of this post, Hope it helps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 am

thanks Pat for the welcome and the hard work you obviously put into this forum!
thanks also Roswell - yeah studying at the moment esp. is near impossible-but i feel its the only thing keeping me going, and my family just wouldnt understand if i needed to pull out or take a break from it ( i know that sounds lame, but i cant deal with their disappointment in me on top of my own at the moment and to be honest if i couldnt continue with my study i wouldnt see a point in anything..)

the mh system is a bloody hard one eh!
if you are given a case worker who just doesnt get it - its the public system = so tough sh*t. i know there are only so many resources but sometimes its like hitting, no, absolutely thrashing, ones head against a brick wall. side effects are never mentioned when drugs are prescribed, a script is just thrust at you with a look of 'be a good girl and take it' - what happened to informed consent?? i was told to stop effexor recently after being on it for ages, over a week...i was on 375mg...over a week...well those who have come off it can imagine, i was in the worst state i have been in...and what can you do when the people 'in charge of your 'care'', dont listen??
sometimes i think i would be better off without but things are a bit of a disaster at the moment and i cant afford a gp (no meds or support), so i feel really stuck, do i continue with a service in which i feel my own opinions count for little and pill after pill (thats how it feels! i was on 11 pills a day until last week when i stopped taking them, silly i know and its the first time i have ever done anything like that but the side effects were the worst i have ever experienced) is prescribed with no information or acknowledgment of symptoms that make them near impossible to take...or do i just try to soldier on on my own with even less support???? arghhh! its just so bloody hard!! i have tried so many meds over the years, since i was quite young and i am just feeling a bit 'over it' at the moment, loosing faith i guess- ect has been mentioned but that terrifies me, even though sometimes i wonder if maybe its worth a go..

anyways enough ranting....

edit: my apologies Roswell, carrying on about myself after you took the time to share with me, i really wish you all the best for your studies and thank you for taking the time to reply Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi and welcome imstillstanding

I like the choice of name by the way.. also a song. I am impressed that you feel comfortable to get in here and start the search for unanswered questions.
I have been on many medications also... I had 11 ECT treatments - each time i woke i was hysterical right back facing the grief and loss. They abandoned the idea of this treatment for me. I did however when in hospital watch the transformation of a lady who had ECT -wonderful to witness someone get well so quickly, i imagine she will be on a programme once monthly or something to keep things ticking along.. So like meds ECT will either be your thing or not. No horror stories from me. Very well cared for, very professional.

In short was a teacher prior to breakdown, suffered suicidal depression so had to be locked up! Over a period of 3 years they have come to the conclusion that these labels apply - Bipolar, Post traumatic stress, SA.

It has been a long and painful road. Loss and Grief sucks big time. I have times were i can get involved in volunteer work but basically wipe out.
So a wee while to go yet. Instead when well enough i go to a centre that is right up my ally in regards to creativity.
I guess i am one of the lucky ones a principal i worked with many years ago is still unwell. Hope, is the best medicine i can prescribe.

As for stopping meds ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no no no lol, my g*D u must be going through the speed wobbles. Not a Dr but reduce over time is my method if i know something isn't working.

Social Welfare can help you financially or ring EPS - Community Psych Services. Wishing you the best. I hope this is helpful.

Poetry
flower

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey ISS, good to see you here Smile

My experience with the MHS is the same as rossy, not much faith in it. After an OD they told me that I didnt qualify for help from the MH team as I was not a serious risk.. cos ya know, attempted suicide isnt really a huge risk or anything lol. However I am very lucky to have very supportive family and friends.

Im on citalopram and have been taking it for 19 months now. When things have gotten really bad it has increased, when things got better it was back to normal. When I don't take it I get very down and suicidal, so its better for me to stay on it and it seems to do the trick.

To get through the rough times I go horse riding, it really helps me. I got myself a kitten last year after the OD, she is my baby and a lifesaver. My little Bella cat (with me in my pic >>) is just the best, when I feel down she always gives me cuddles, and lets me know someone needs me. I also live with my bf who can be a jerk at times (I often vent about him on here) but most of the time hes really good. So I have him and Bella for cuddles when I get really down. When Im a big bawling suicidal mess all I try to make myself sleep. I always feel better when I wake up. My best friend is also a lifesaver, she is my support person and I contact her whenever I feel down which is great.

Don't believe those that say you can't succeed cos you can. Im 21 and had depression all through my teens. I just thought it was normal till I actually spoke to someone about it. I am currently studying part time and working full time to become a civil engineer. Yea its tough at times, but for me not succeeding isnt an option, mainly due to my pushy family (they are great but rather compedative and failure is not an option). I come here quite often and just vent about things. This place and the people here have got me through some really hard times over the past few months. It really helps just to get it out.

Hope that helps a little bit (novel I know lol) and hope to see you in the chat box some time.

Haley xx
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guerrilla Roach Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Welcome Smile this is the place to have your questions answered for sure.
Guerrilla Roach
Guerrilla Roach

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:09 pm

hi ya, hows it going? Welcome to TTBD and its the right place to ask questions and share experiences.

I cant comment on the use of meds as im still struggling to find what works for me. As for dealing with the mental health system, well i dont really fit in there and was quite often told that by my GP because of my family and my background and the fact i was at uni, graduated and had a good job but yet i was soon found out as my health deteriorated and i self medicated! My advice is change doctors do some research reach out to anyone you must find someone who will listen. Be proud of the fact you dont quite fit their ideal but make them give you the help you need. Good luck with your studies, hang in there, its not fun, no one said it would be easy but they say it is worth it. Im yet to experience that part.

All the best.

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by _wizza_ Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 am

hello imstillstanding and welcome =)

medication is diff 4 every1 and it has taken me 3years to find the one that works for me (efexor-xr) i agree with u about drs not telling you side effect of a/d..i google and that tells me everything i need to know. i recall being on citalapram for quite some time last year and experienced horrible night sweats and nightmares (sadistic ones -every night it was about mass murder etc) having told a dr he only said it was a side effect but when i mentioned it to another dr some months later he changed my meds straight away-so i think getting a second opinion is always wise.

i was under emergency psyh (sp??) services at the end of last year after an O.D and found them to be fantasic-the support they offered me was awesome along with the phone calls just to check up on me. this was the point they changed my meds from paroxitine to the one im on now and found it extremley hard for a while-it was almost at the point where my mum rung the dr from eps wanting me to be admitted until my new meds took there effect..wish i did becoz 2weeks after my first O.D i done it again and this time found the eps lady to be nothing but a cow and was telling me i had done it 4 attention!!! im not even sure why some of these people work in mental health-they clearly dont "get it"

feelin depressed is the worst feeling in the world and it has been only recently that have started to understand it. my advise to you would be know your triggers and the first signs of an "episode" (for me, i stop eating and just want to go to sleep) and try to do something u enjoy to stop the cycle Laughing

woah lots of writing by me lol but again welcome! the people on here are just amazing Very Happy
_wizza_
_wizza_

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

newbie with questions...many..(-; Empty wow

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 am

thank you all for your kind welcome and sharing your stories with me - im speechless and a bit teary actually, thank you all!!
its a real support to hear from others in similar situations who are doing their thing and getting on with their lives despite this awful flea bag dog we all carry on our backs!! we all do the best we can, though unfortunately those who dont 'get it' often fail to see this, its really awesome to be able to 'talk' with you all...its such a relief to talk to people who understand...
i have read all your replies and will keep going back to read them as there was gold in there from each of you - thank you Very Happy
Poetry-thank you so much for sharing that-its certainly not something one can bring up in day to day conversation! as for speed wobbles, oh yes!, but thankfully are tapering off now!
lil_miss_haley-Bella is gorgeous! its ridiculous sometimes what is considered 'sick enough' to get help, if certain boxes cant be ticked its tough...hope things are going better for now! you must be busy with work and study, all the very best!
Guerrilla Roach-thanks!
clare_sky-thanks, i hope you find 'the one' soon! its such a frustrating process isnt it!
wizza-yeah, i had contact with the emergency psych lot last year-thay were absolutely fantastic. i was quite blown away actually (esp. after some of the people we come across, who as you say 'why on earth they are working in mh?!) by how supportive they were and how responsive they were to my questions, opinions...shame i could only see them short term as they really were great. hope things are getting better for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down