The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

citilopram side effects

+3
Easily Amused
_wizza_
bixxy
7 posters

Go down

citilopram side effects Empty citilopram side effects

Post by bixxy Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

Are body and headaches side effects of citilopram? My husband has been on it for approx 12 mths and was doing really well on 20mg. A couple of months ago theywere changed to a generic brand and he said that he didn't think they worked as well. Anyway not wanting to think it was all in his head just because they were a diferent brand he persevered but it got worse. A visit to the Dr was made and Dr said Citilopram can just suddenly dump you and increased his dose to 30mg. He is now feeling extremely tired(in bed by 8pm) has headaches and body aches and really doesn't seem himself. I think it's odd that this all started when the brand of drugs was changed. It is so disheartening because he was like a different person and after struggling with life for most of his adult life (he is 57) he started to feel what he thought normal should be. I feel so sad for him. I think he will hav eto go back to the Dr but the Dr only works 3 days a week and he's always fully booked.

bixxy

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Back to top Go down

citilopram side effects Empty Re: citilopram side effects

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 am

Hey Bixxy,

In short yes they can be a side effect of the generic brand of Citalopram (Arrow-Citalpram) and it is not as strong.

Also as with a lot of anti-depressants a person can build upto or become use to a certain dose and so will require an increase in dosage or even a change in medications, espically if you husband has been on it long enough.

On the other hand being tired and head achy etc could be due to stress or anxiety. I know I get like that and it can be/is a precurser to me going on a slide.

Back to top Go down

Post by _wizza_ Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 am

when i was on citalpram a while back i was achy everywhere (usually at night while trying to sleep) i was also sleeping alot for the first 2?? months on them-this could be the case for ur husband as they have increased the dosage-however if it does continue id suggest going back to the dr. My dr said the sleeping was kind of "making up for the lost sleep i had had" and eventually came right
_wizza_
_wizza_

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

citilopram side effects Empty citilopram side effects

Post by bixxy Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks guys. He got up this morning after a really crap night and says his temp is up and down and all ovr the place. Will monitor him to see if it gets worse. The Dr did suggest taking the meds at night instead of morning if they made him tired.

bixxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Easily Amused Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm

I don't know where in South Canterbury you are , but even getting a DR is impossible, everyone has their books closed it it ridiculous. I was on citilopram a few years ago and got the most horrendous headaches and sweats , so I got changed to another drug. I wish zoloft was funded in NZ
Easily Amused
Easily Amused

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Im on citalopram and have been for 18 months now. I always feel sore and tired, but I just thought it was me. Maybe it could be a side effect?

However I havent gone got new ones since dec last year as my dose was doubled, and I cut back down to 20mg once life started sorting its self out. So whats this generic brand? Like what does it mean?
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jomatt Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Bixxy

I am on Citalopram too and at times I feel so so tired. I work full time but in the weekends and any chance I get really I go and have a sleep and try and recharge. But a lot of the time I just feel worn out.
jomatt
jomatt

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jomatt Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:27 am

Hi Bixxy

I am on Citalopram too and at times I feel so so tired. I work full time but in the weekends and any chance I get really I go and have a sleep and try and recharge. But a lot of the time I just feel worn out.
jomatt
jomatt

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:38 am

Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

citilopram side effects Empty citilapram side effects

Post by bixxy Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 am

Hi evry one/ Thanks for your input and thanks paddy2 for the link. I have printed it out. Something else odd has happened. He told me one of the cats must have left a f;ea in the bed because he had bites all over. They look more like hives to me and they have been increasing. I think it could be an allergic reaction to the drug. Will keep a close eye on him and see if it gets worse. Will have to try and get him into a doctor over the weekend I think. I am not happy with thsi generic brand. Oh BTW to the person who asked about generic brands, they are copies of the original drug and are a lot cheaper so pharmac change to generic brands of all drugs once the patent comes off. Easily Amused, we are in waimate.

bixxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Easily Amused Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:33 pm

I see you are having trouble with Dr's as well in Waimate..it is going to get worse in small places I think, just like getting people to staff ambulances...I think it is a good idea to keep an eye on him , but if they really are not suiting him , then go back and talk to the Dr, as there is nothing worse than feeling even more ill than you do with depression/aniexty
Easily Amused
Easily Amused

Back to top Go down

citilopram side effects Empty citalopram side effects

Post by bixxy Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:50 am

Hi Easily Amused, Well here is an interesting update. On Thursday night he showed me some spots on his chest and said the damn cat had been on his bed (the cat has been treated for fleas so I knew it wasn't those bites).Anyway I was a little worried that it could be an allergic reaction to the citalopram. Friday morning he wasn't well enough to go to work and he had more spots. Couldn't get into a Dr but I have had "drug rashes" myself and to me it didn't look like that. This morning he had more and the older spots were blistery. I decided they could be chicken pox so we went into the after hours Dr in Timaru and yes she said she was certain thats what they were. He says he thought he had had CP as a child but it may have only been a mild dose. We don't have any kids or grandkids or contact with any so I don't know where he would have become infected. I am releived that it isn't the citalopram as it seems to suit him "headwise" and I know it takes some people a long time to find something that works for them.

bixxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Easily Amused Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:21 am

So glad he only has chicken pox...well not glad he has chicken pox, as such , because they are horrible in adults...wellif the citalopram is suiting him it is great that it was not a reaction to the drug..hope he keeps improving Smile
Easily Amused
Easily Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by is_it_me Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:21 am

Im on Citalpram - have been for about 9- 10months. When I first started I felt tired, fuzzy headed, and I had a constant upset stomach. After 2 months the upset tums went and now Im stacking on weight, which is really upsetting me. I still get the headaches and my focus at work leaves a lot to be desired. I have been back to the Doctor but he hasnt changed my doseage and says I need to stay on them for a very long time.!!!! I would rather use natural meds - does anyone have any recommendations?
is_it_me
is_it_me

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down