Finger and nail chewing and other obsessive habits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finger and nail chewing and other obsessive habits

Post by lowdown on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 am

I had never thought of it this way, but last time I was at the doctors she grabbed my hands (which I usually try to hide) and said, look at the state of your fingers, that is almost self-harm.

That shocked me as I think of self harm as cutting, scratching etc...but she is probably right, I chew around my fingernails until they are sore or bleeding, picking at every little rough patch and sticking up bit. My fingers from the top joint are very red and smooth (where it has healed) as it is all scar tissue from over the years. I'm embarassed to point to things on a page as it is so obvious.

I used to keep my nails nice but the skin around them was the problem, but somewhere along the way I have just eaten down all the nails now too. Not nice Sad

Anyone else have a similar bad habit? Have tried tape and bandaids on fingertips, creams, yucky tasting stuff, nothing seems to work to discourage me...

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Finger and nail chewing and other obsessive habits

Post by claire_sky on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 am

Hi lowdown,

Im a nail biter too, and a scratcher, i dont consider these as self harm but my family do. I bite my nails down to almost half way and pick off the lose bits of skin on my finger tips. I dont like people watching me as i type! Ive tried the yuck nail polish to deter me from biting but sadly i became immune to it so just gave up trying! Im also a scratcher i have a couple of old sores/scars on my hands and wrists from years ago. I no longer scratch or pick at them though. I scratch my head all the time, i dont have nits or head lice its just a really really bad habit ive got and i wasnt even aware i was doing it until someone pointed it out to me that thats how they can tell im stressed!

Would love to offer you some advice but sadly im just as bad as you!

Do you catch yourself biting your nails? I do it with out knowing it, i think if i was to realise i was doing it, it might be easier to stop?

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenMonsta on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:22 am

I would put my hand in the air...but you gus might notice my nails....chronic nail biter here too Im afraid. I have tried it all too lol nothing works.....

Lately I have developed a new behaviour though wehre I bite myself between my soft flesy part of my hand between the first finger and thumb.......quite hard until its all red and tooth marked. Its awful....I look down and its just so ugly....

I always hide my hands now!

MOnsta
ZenMonsta

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 am

I catch myself doing it and know I shouldn't and logic would tell me to stop but....

lowdown

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 am

Thats ok lowdown, thats me and brushing my hair, i cant stop, i dont even have nice hair but yet i brush my fingers through my hair several times a day! It would be ok if i was some teen age beuty but now im just someone with a weird habit!

Does anyone get heat blisters? i dont know if its because of the weather or if i have hives due to stress or anxiety?

arghhhhh but they are annoying!

claire_sky

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:26 am

I get them between my fingers, just the heat I think

lowdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:48 am

I pick and chew at the quicks espically when s stressed or anxious.

My doc noticed one of my fingers the other day and asked about it

Hey at least it not cutting Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 am

I run my hands thru my hair and pick at my scalp, even tho theres nothing there. Its a pain cos it makes my hair so greasy
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Folly on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 am

I suck both my index fingers and chew patches of skin off them sometimes making it bleed. I think it (chewing/picking) is something sooo many people do. Like a stress relief/comfort thing. Claire, I do the brushing my fingers through my hair thing too, mainly when i'm nervous.

Folly

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 1teaspoon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Oh man, do i know how you guys feel. I have been picking skin off my fingers (up to the first knuckle) since i was at primary school. I have dermatitis on my fingers anyway so they get pretty dry, but when im worried bout something or just plain bored i pick at the skin. Once the skin starts to heal i start picking all over again. There are times where my skin is fine but most of the time my fingers are a mess. Ive tried lots of creams but only one has worked. Its called foban cream. I buy gauze pads and sports tape and cover my fingers with the cream then tape them up with the gauze and tape at night. By the morning, my fingers look healed... until i start picking again.
Does anyone else pick at one hand more than the other? I pick all the fingers on my left hand, but only the thumb on my right.
Does anyone else get really shitty if they are told to stop picking? I do. Its not something i do on a concious level anymore, half the time i dont realise im doing it.
1teaspoon

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-11-01

http://theinvisibleagony.forumotion.net/index.htm?sid=045d004fd4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1teaspoon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Meant to add, its a lot harder to chew my fingers now as i have a top denture. (I had all my top teeth out at the start of the year as i had pyrea (sp?) of the gum.) So i pick more than chew these days. Oh and i also use small scissors to cut off the dead skin so it doesnt rub against my clothes etc as that starts me off picking again.
1teaspoon

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-11-01

http://theinvisibleagony.forumotion.net/index.htm?sid=045d004fd4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:08 am

I pick more on my left hand then the right.

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:15 am

Im right handed and chew the finger tips on my right hand! Although i scratch my left wrist and the bit between my thumb and indev finger ... have stopped doing this now thank god and the scars are healing nicely!

Yip im forever brushing my hair and doing what haley does too ... feel like a real looser but cant help it, and it pisses me off big time when people tell me to stop doing it!

Its not a crime is it?

claire_sky

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 am

Im so glad others do things like that I thought I was weird ( well i still am but at least now I know other weird ppl lol)

I also chew the inside of my mouth. I got my tounge peirced and thats really good, whenever Im upset, bored or angry I chew it (its plastic so doesnt hurt my teeth)
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Not Alone

Post by Heathersweather on Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm

I have been picking and chewing the middle finger of my left hand for some years, i can leave it for a while, but when i see a chance for a great pick i start, i make the skin bleed, cant bend my finger, without it hurting, wear plasters to cover it up, and stop me doing it, but what amazed me, is the connection with picking the skin, and scraping the scalp, its like i am a monkey, dont laugh, i enjoy looking for mega dandruff, and if i get scabs, all the better, i get quite upset if i dont get much, anyone else feel like me?

Heathersweather

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

general information

Post by aidenrock on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks for the interactive information.
aidenrock

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-01-07

http://www.dynamicmounting.com/

Back to top Go down