Hi, Im JP from Hamilton

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi, Im JP from Hamilton

Post by kiwisoph on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

stumbled onto this site while searching depression support groups and thought id give it a go.

Im a long time sufferer of depression (or as my family call it, attention whoring) excuse the language, have been on and off fluoxatine since i was 10, im 37 nearly 38 now, i have tried aropax and a few others i cant remember but fluox seems to be the most reliable so far

bout a month ago, i went to my dr because my anxiety was thru the roof and i had serious feelings of wanting to hurt myself and did a little cutting which scared me, and he asked a couple of questions and told me he was putting me on sertraline 50mg 1x daily, and gave me a script for 90 (and 2 repeats of 90 each) lorazepam 2.5mg up to 3x daily when needed and said he has had great results

ive been on it for 5 weeks now, and this last week i have been very very bad, im crying at nothing and everything, i am craving alcohol (and im not a drinker) i get angry so fast, then crying even faster, i cant get out of bed half the time and i sleep almost 17-18 hrs a day most days

im going back to him on monday to talk with him about this, and i need to know if i can ask for him to refer me to mental health services, (i have asked 4 drs in the last 2 years to do this with no result), because to me, from what ive read about the two new drugs he has put me on, he is only treating the anxiety and social disorder he diagnosed me with, and not the underlying depression

or am i just losing my head and stick it out with this treatment and try and wait till it gets really bad then ring the crisis unit to come help me?

im sorry if this is too much info for the welcome page but im at my wits end and i have no family or friends i can discuss this with

oh and hi everyone Smile

kiwisoph

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-07-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi, Im JP from Hamilton

Post by zin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi dear, welcome and hugs. I do hope the doctor will refer you to mental health, they were able to help me a lot. It is certainly worth asking!
Hugs again
Zin
zin

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by deathsoonplease on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Welcome.
I have been a long time user of fluox amongst others, they gave me back when I was a kid, but before my GP did that, we talked for a couple of hours. How your doc can diagnose whats wrong with a couple of questions, is beyond belief.
Also crying is very good for you. if you need to cry it's because you are hurting, funny thing is that if the hurt has been there for a while when it gets triggered by current events it tends to make no sense. Then you think there must be something wrong with me.
Those drugs will make you sleepy until your body gets used to them, probably emotionally exhausted as well, being unhappy can really take it out of you. And drugs will not treat the underlying depression! they will only allow you to feel better enough to seek your own solution usually therapy of some kind.
And lets for a moment look at social disorder. I guess this means that people scare you and you are not able to function well in social situations. I certainly struggle with this and the reason is some people in my past treated me real bad and I have developed a cautionary approach to relationships, so as not to feel the same thing again. I get anxious in group setting.
Hope you can sort something out. I know it's no fun being where you are

deathsoonplease

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lilkiwi on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am

Hi JP.
Welcome to the site Smile
I also am a life long sufferer of depression. I have been on Venlafaxine for years now as its for depression and anxiety and i find it helps. I also have been to my GP lots in the last few months but he does not have any answers he can give me, other than go to counselling which i tried and did not find very helpful. Before i went on Venlafaxine i had tried lots of other depression pills and i did the same as you and cried and cried and at times very moody and angry! Guess its just finding the right meds to be on seeing they all have different effects on us. Go back to your GP and tell him/her how your mood has worsen. And if you do have bad thoughts ring for help ASAP (i did a few months back). Just got to keep reminding yourself that you are not alone in the depression fight. Be great to hear back from you....Lisa

lilkiwi

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top