Feeling scared

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feeling scared

Post by Jonboy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 am

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering who can relate to feeling really freaked out, for no real reason?

Quite often I feel all the freaky feelings you get when there really is something wrong, or at least you think there is. The thing is , even though in your head you know everything's ok really, your body tells you its not ok!

I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with this.

peace,

Jonboy

Jonboy

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Feeling scared

Post by Scamp on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Jonboy,

Sounds to me like it's your medication. Have you made any changes recently?

Either that or you're having panic attacks or suffering from vertigo. Are you under a lot of stress?

I've had "freaky feelings" from both of the above.

Scamp
Scamp

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:23 am

Cheers for your reply Scamp Very Happy .

I started getting the feelings about 6 months ago alongside panic attacks and severe depression. I was studying abroad when it all started, which may have been a cause for the panic attacks (the stress etc). But I haven't been under any stress for a while now, so at least the panic attacks have stopped. Upping my dose of medication didn't help, so I have switched to another med, which I've been on for about 5 weeks. I don't think the feelings are caused by the medication, as I've had them on 2 different ones. I'm thinking about trialing a new one to see if it may help.

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:59 am

Hi Jonboy,

Some medication takes a few weeks to have any effect. It can take a few more weeks to become detrimental. Other medication is faster acting and more short term. Your doctor should tell you which is which.

What caused you to go onto medication in the first place? Is the cause prevailing or in the past? If it's in the past then why continue with the medication?

If the strange feelings are not physiological and treatable with medication then they must be psychological and have to be treated by something like CBT.

You have to make sure you sleep well. Good sleep does wonders for the head. How are you sleeping at the moment? How were you sleeping around the time when you started getting the panic attacks and became severely depressed?

Finally, how's your social life? Any big changes or disappointments recently?

The problem lies in one of those three areas. The problem might be acute but it sounds more chronic to me. If the problem can't be remedied then you will have to recognise it and work around it. I need to know a bit more info before I can give more specific advice.

Scamp
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 am

I really appreciate your input.

I have actually had some CBT with my therapist.

Originally i started that med several years ago, to help cope with anxiety.
However the sorts of things I started experiencing in April were way more serious than anything I'd ever dealt with. The panic attacks have more or less stopped, but I am still very much experiencing the other problems I mentioned.

I have started sleeping very heavily on this new med, and is extremely difficult to get up i nthe morning . There haven't been any notable social changes I can thuvj of.

Thanks,
Jonboy

the morning.

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 am

Hi Jonboy,

Good sleep, even if it is because of medication, is generally better than poor sleep. It has to be properly balanced though. Good sleep is the foundation stone of proper recovery.

Difficulty in getting up in the morning might be because of the medication or it might be because of other things like improper diet or inadequate exercise. Are you eating properly and doing regular exercise? How's your weight?

If your diet and exercise are in order and you are still feeling tired in the morning rather than refreshed then go to your doctor straight away. Seeing your doctor hasn't seemed to have been treating you properly perhaps you might consider going to another doctor. Let me know.

My CBT proved to be fairly useless, by the way. I think it depends alot on the particular therapist you get. It also depends on being properly assessed in the first place by your GP and then perhaps other health professionals. CBT is generally over-rated in my opinion; but I have heard some people say it did them some good.

If you have psychological issues then the best way to fix them is by consciously and properly managing them; after they have been identified of course. We will have to tease this out a little.

Curious - what caused your anxiety several years ago?

Studying is generally stressful at the best of times let alone overseas. No wonder someone who is prone to be anxious started having panic attacks. Medication is aimed to treat the symptoms but does not address the cause. Sounds like you have discontinued your overseas studies. Is this correct? Why then shouldn't you discontinue your medication? Particularly in light of you saying that you have no social or psychological problems at the moment.

If you have nothing stressing you at the moment then it's only your usual background anxiety that needs to be dealt with; but it sounds to me like you might still have some social problems - everyone does do some extent.

If you have physiological problems for one reason or another then medication is necessary.

I suspect you became sleep deprived when you were studying overseas. That caused chronic mental fatigue which led to depression. If that's the case then all you needed to do back then is get proper sleep. Going onto medication to treat the depression but not addressing the cause or managing sleep has led to your current state.

Am I on the right track?

Scamp

Last edited by Scamp on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am

I think that diet or exercise aren't causing the problem with waking up, as those aspects of my life haven't changed (and I really try to keep them in balance).

You said that you didn't find CBT particularly helpful? Is there something else you found to help you cope?

I have always been a very anxious person, and I think I just reached a point where I was concerned enough to mention it to my GP.

My doctor has advised me that i'm suffering from a major depressive episode; probably brought on by my stresses overseas. I think that my personality type makes me more inclined to issues of this nature, but they have never been as debilitating. That's why I have felt it necessary to seek treatment aided by an appropriate drug.

Thanks again for your help; it is very generous of you to offer your honest advice.

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi Jonboy,

Basically I'm coping by realising my limitations and recognising obstacles. I can elaborate further if you are interested.

Your doctor saying that you were suffering from a "major depressive episode" is fitting in with parts of what I have been saying. That is, despite you generally being an anxious person, you can cope provided you steer clear of stressful situations. This is hopeful. The keyword is "episode" which is short term (two weeks but as long as two years) as opposed to "disorder" which is on going.

I just can't see why your GP would want to put you on medication long term; particularly after identifying the probable cause of the your depression and recognising that it is no longer an issue; other than, of course, to treat the symptoms of the medication in the first place.

If, however, you have new stressors that are affecting you at the moment then that's another matter; but you have been saying that there are no such stressors. Please confirm.

Go to another doctor and let me know what they have to say.

Also try to establish a good sleep pattern. Go to bed earlier rather than later; even though your mind might be racing. You have to work through that (I can talk further on this if you like). Posting at 11:25pm is not a good sign. The internet is a wonderful thing but, like most things, moderation is crucial. Too much of anything, both good and bad, can lead to an obsessive disorder and, by definition, be detrimental to one's health.

Scamp
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Scamp,

I am interested in hearing more. I hope that things are going well for you.

I think it has to be an episode as opposed to a disorder, as there was a clear, rapid transition from feeling relatively ok to things being very difficult on a daily basis.

Do you mean the medication I was on previously or the current one? The previous one was just to help cope with general anxiety, etc however the current is specifically to help cope with what I think must be an episode.

I made a clear objective to go back into my 'comfort zone', so to speak, after a couple of months experiencing this overseas.

Thanks for the advice Scamp. I do feel that I am being moderate in many of the aspects of my life, which I find troubling (as I can't understand why I am still struggling this much).

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:06 am

I mean the series of all medication. Medication treats the symptoms but not the cause. Seeing you have eliminated the cause you no longer need to be on any medication.

Medication is not prescribed for general anxiety; that's a psychological condition. Psychological conditions are managed by know your weaknesses and learn from your mistakes.

Being generally anxious you will have to learn to realise that things that happen in the past cannot harm you. They can, however, erode your self-confidence. You might need to have some counselling for that. I can elaborate further if you like but, be warned, I'll be brutal.

Unfortunately you've learnt the hard way what happens when medication treats the symptoms and not the cause. Don't worry, it's happened before and will happen again. Go to another doctor and get another opinion.

Now, when you say you're struggling what exactly are you trying to achieve? What's stressing you?

Don't say it's feeling scared. What have you got to be scared about? If it's nothing then you might be suffering from paranoia. Have any of your family been diagnosed with this? Have you taken any psychoactive substances? Have you had a stressful or neglected upbringing causing you to be hypervigilant?

Am I on the right track?

Scamp
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am

I don't think it's necessarily as simple as that, though. I know many people that are on medications long-term because it gives them better quality of life.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean?

I understand that these things can't be solved solely with medication though.

What I mean by struggling, is being distressed continuously for no reason and just feeling generally awful. The difficult part is that I have tried to analyse what could be causing the feelings (upbringing, etc), but haven't found any answers. I can see how hypervigilance could be an issue for me, but I can't make sense of a pre-existing condition suddenly causing what I'm going through now, if you understand.

Cheers,

Jonboy

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Sorry for not replying earlier. I've been involved in other activities. I'll try to provide a more detailed reply in the coming week.

In the meantime, please go to another doctor and get another opinion.

Scamp
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 am

Thanks Scamp.

I'm working on getting an appointment with a different doctor now.

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Jonboy,

Just touching base. I'm still quite involved with other activities at the moment.

Good to hear that you're working on getting another opinion from a different GP. Keep us posted.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that medication should be done away with all together. I do believe, though, that doctors tend to over-prescribe medication; treating the symptoms and not addressing the cause.

Also bear in mind there is no such thing a happy pill. Happiness is difficult to define. I would like you to think about happiness. I've given this a lot of thought myself and have my own ideas. Let me know what you think happiness is. It's an interesting and worthwhile exercise.

Yes, I do know what you mean about pre-existing conditions and current symptoms. What I'm getting at is that people have their own level of physical and psychological resilience. In other words, Some people are stronger physically and psychologically than others. A traumatic experience, whether it be physical like breaking a leg or psychological like studying overseas takes a while to get over. I've read that it takes six months to two years to recover from a psychological trauma. It will take longer if you are taking medication that has adverse side-effects.

Also be aware that continued distress is a social disease. Feeling awful over time is understandable. Look on the stresses of life like the strains of carrying load around on your back. Feeling tired over time is understandable. There is, however, a cause for everything. Keep analysing but don't get too obsessed about it.

Counselling helps partly because things are seen better from afar; but not too far of course. I mean, if you are standing two inches from a house then you can't really see it; you have to step back a little.

For each person there are good counsellors and bad ones. It all depends on the relationship between the counsellor and the client. Look on counsellors as shoes or clothing that you have try on. One size doesn't fit all.

I believe there are some counsellors who think they are there just as a sounding wall. They believe the client will help themselves. No doubt this does work in some cases but it's merely like the placebo effect in medication.

A person's well-being is beyond the scope of medicine. It spills over into the scope psychology, sociology and philosophy to name a few.

Scamp
Scamp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am

Hi Scamp,

Thanks for getting in contact.

I agree totally that there is no simple remedy to achieve happiness. For me, happiness is being able to live life moment by moment, and experience the present. When I was younger I think I had a simplistic view of happiness. That said, I feel I am trying to achieve something much more fundamental than that right now.

It's more like trying to achieve basic existence, where I can manage my thoughts and feelings- the ones that take away the ability to experience life, almost completely disconnected from reality.

I appreciate what you mean about a counsellor- they can be far more helpful as they are less biased by emotions/relations.

I feel fortunate that my counsellor is more involved than a 'sounding wall' type one!

Jonboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top