The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citalopram and Seroquel

4 posters

Go down

Citalopram and Seroquel Empty Citalopram and Seroquel

Post by kathchris Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 am

I have been on Seroquel for nearly 2 years but on Thursday my Dr prescribed me Citalopram. Now I have had abit of a look on the internet and one of the sites says this is not a good combination! My dose for seroquel is 1 and a half tablets a night and they are 25mg tablets and she has put me on 20 mg of Citalopram.

My body reacted really badly to paroxetine so already feel really anxious about starting on antidepresants but know now that the seroquel is no longer working.

I am not sure what to do...do I take the tablet or not! confused

kathchris

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Citalopram and Seroquel Empty Re: Citalopram and Seroquel

Post by Paddy Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Hiya, kathchris

I’d like to think that your doctor has put reasoned thought and consideration into recommending the change and knows that based on experience and research, most folk don’t have the problems which a few may have. Or not to the point where the reactions outweigh the potential benefits to you..

An Internet Search can sometimes provide an overload of information not all of which is inherently accurate or reliable.

For the good oil on medications available in NZ, I rely on the medsafe.govt.nz website and in particular, its Consumer Information pages which can be accessed from:
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/CMIForm.asp

For instance, the Consumer Info sheet for the med I think you are prescribed, is
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/a/arrow-citalopram.pdf but if its not, then it will be either of http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/c/celapram.pdf or
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/c/cipramil.pdf

You can save and print out these sheets and I have found them to be very useful. Keep in mind that listed side effects are not compulsory.

My personal opinion would be to take the new meds in strict accordance with instructions and to also keep yourself a wee diary in which you can record dosages and how the day has gone etc.

If worried, keep in contact with the Practice Nurse at your doctor’s surgery – she will know from records about your meds change and can offer access to a range of support options if they are needed. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Remember to take extra gentle care of you and stay safe. Very Happy

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by kathchris Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you Paddy - I suppose I am just showing exactly why I do need to take something as I over analyse everything!

I am going to start with 10 mg this morning am so nervous!

kathchris

Back to top Go down

Post by linda01 Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:41 am

Hi Kathchris

I am on the same combination , and have been for the past 8 years at least; with some changes according to mood. I have never experienced any noticeable negative side effect. I have found the Citalopram really good. I am on two 20mg tablets daily and two 25mg questiapine (Seroquel) tablets. I find the combination works well, I do need to adjust it sometime but always let my doctor know first. Let me know if your got any other questions.

Linda

linda01

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:49 am

Hi Kathchris,

How are you getting on with Citalopram?

I was on that and Amitriptyline for a couple of years. Had a number of things going on and my doctor thought it best. Found the Amitriptyline good because they helped me sleep. Stress induced sleep deprivation seemed to be the problem. Didn't need the Citalopram at all.

Now off everything and back to "normal".

Has your doctor tried to find out what is causing your symptoms?
Scamp
Scamp

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kathchris Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Scamp have decided to wean of it. I have been on it for 6 weeks but I believe my body is to suseptable to something in it that is causing more problems than its worth.Sigh.
I had 3 weeks where I had no reflux symptoms they think I have a hypersensitve oesophagus basicly stress / anxiety is ruling my life as is ocd . I have also come to realise that since my breakdown 3 years ago this last year I would say I am depressed. So I know I need help just not sure what drug they will try and put me on.
I have an appointment to see the specilist on Wednesday so will talk to him. I had a ph test done 3 months ago and this is the follow up from that.
Thanks for asking though.

kathchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Scamp Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Kathchris,

Thanks for your reply.

Not a bother.

Apparently a lot of people, not just stressed people, have reflux but don't know it. My doctor said I had it. Prescribed an antacid. Didn't help.

Just heard a medical talk in which it was mentioned that eating a lot of fatty food late at night tends to bring on heartburn. You might like to talk to your doctor about that. I can provide a link to the talk for more details if you’re interested.

I'm a bit OCD myself; and proud of it. I call it “good attention to detail”. That predisposition and pressures in life can, and does, cause breakdowns. Don’t we know it. I am of the opinion that a person who has been fortunate to have had a good upbringing and has good peer support is much more resilient and less likely to suffer breakdowns. In other words, it's not the person who needs treatment, it's society. Medication and counselling are treating the symptoms; not the cause.

Any comments anybody?
Scamp
Scamp

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down