Hello from me for the first time...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from me for the first time...

Post by loveroses on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi everyone, I am Rosie from the trademe board, very new to all this - and struggling might I add.
Last week I was put on fluox by my Dr as he was deeply concerned about my mental state. I seem to have become a bit worse since going on them to be honest, and woke up in tears this morning - not a great start to the day.
I guess it started back in Oct when I stopped sleeping, found out the real meaning of insomnia. Hour after hour after hour of staring at the wall, reading fb, talking to others who can't sleep, etc etc . It was about Dec when I lost the ability to watch tv completely or to read a book which was even earlier than that. I have since managed to get through a couple of books, well one full one. My pain increased from old injuries hugely and that is what drew me back to my Dr. He dared to suggest a couple of months ago I could be depressed. I told him, I was going away by myself without my husband or 3 teens to get away from it all in the middle of nowhere - I guess (understandably) it rang every alarm bell for him. He asked me if I had a plan to end it all. I tried to assure him I would not do that to my family - I just wanted peace and quiet - and most of all sleep!!!!
For the first time in 27 yrs I had a week to myself - at the end of it, I did not want to go home, at all, ever.
About a week after that, I went back to try and convince my Dr I was not suicidal and that I was safe to re- prescribe Tramadol for pain and sleeping pills for a couple of nights a sleep a week to help me cope better. He talked to me more about depression. I was so annoyed with him that I went home, did three online checklists and discovered that I was in the severely depressed category - told my husband they were all rigged!!! I read a brilliant book on sufferes of depression, and I guess it rang a few bells. I went back to my Dr and said I was open to his suggestion that I may be suffering depression after many months of 1 - 3,4 hrs sleep a night. He did a checklist and was a bit alarmed. Once again offered me an intervention team or someone to come and talk to me at his rooms to which once again I refused. My husband was there with me this time. So I agreed to go on fluox and DHC a long acting member of the opoid family and panadol constantly to try and get my pain under control as well.
So after a rather protracted ramble - that is me and my wee story so far, oh well a wee slice of me. Apart from that I am 47yrs young Smile But I think that is more than enough for anyone to read so I will bring it to an end. I do feel worse than last week, which worries me a bit but I am still alive and kicking.

loveroses

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from me for the first time...

Post by loveroses on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:46 am

I gues sooner or later, someone might say hello back, I mean only eleven have read this so far Very Happy

loveroses

Back to top Go down

Post by zin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 am

Hello back!! and hugs to you dear
zin

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:12 am

Hi there Rosie and Welcome to TBBD - thanks for choosing to join us and also for introducing yourself to us.

Congratulations for empowering yourself to return to the doctor and to agree to a regime of meds which might well help.

I use Paroxetine as my anti-mad and I know DHC Codeine well - I take it morning and night. I had adverse reactions with Tramadol and a few others, but DHC certainly helps.

Alas these meds don't kick in straight away and with the anti-mads, there is often a 2-3 week before one starts to notice a difference. Have you seen the Medsafe Consumer Data Information Sheet for Fluox?

There are three versions available, two of which are more or less identical so share a Data Sheet, whilst the other, good ole Prozac is the second Link shown below.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/f/fluox.pdf
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/p/prozac.pdf

In my experience these offer the most reliable information on meds available in NZ.

Thanks again and nice to meet you,

Paddy.

P.S. I don't often 'suggest' a medication because its not something I'm qualified to do - but - I have spinal cord and assorted other injuries decades old and I know a wee bit about pain and mobility and stuff.

One of my most useful meds is a muscle relaxant called Orphenadrine Citrate or in its generic form, Norflex. My body knows when I've forgotten those, by golly. Its Medsafe consumer info Link is http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/n/Norflex.htm

Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by loveroses on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:09 am

wow Paddy you are amazing, oh and hello zin (all hugs gladly accepted). I will look at those medsafe sheets. I was talking to a nurse at the Drs today who was checking up on me and I tearfully told her I was feeling worse than last week, the Dr told her to pass on to me that he wants me to stay on fluox 20mg for another week. I feel worse actually, like sadder and more tearful - I hate feeling like this. I feel very bleak, especially when I forget to take my pain meds and the pain hits me again. I took 2 DHC today at once as I just wanted to feel life without any pain for a few hours. Paddy I am going t mention that med to my Dr as I found Tramadol really good but it can't be prescribed with fluox.
So I just need to be patient, and get through a day at a time aye - each day seems soooooo long.
Oh well, I think I have found a nice safe place to hang out here sometimes.
It was great to come and see some replies Smile

loveroses

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top