The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros & cons Of Lithium

4 posters

Go down

Pros & cons Of Lithium Empty Pros & cons Of Lithium

Post by oodlesauck Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 am

I have been on Epilim for about 17 years, my GP wants to change me to Lithium. Would like to hear about other people's experience with Lithium as I am trying to make an informed decision. She thinks that I would be more stable on Lithium. I have doubled my weight on Epilim.

oodlesauck

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Pros & cons Of Lithium Empty Re: Pros & cons Of Lithium

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 am

hi and welcome to TBBD: I had a search for some information about lithium and found the site below.

http://www.bipolaradviceguide.com/the-pros-cons-side-effects-of-lithium-to-treat-bipolar-disorder

There is a thread also in the Medication section that may help.

Take care
Poetry

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 am

I take Lithium, have been on it for about 6 months and find it helpful. Before I was only on AD's which weren't working but now with Lithium added in I can see a light at the end of the tunnel as such. It does mean regular blood tests especially at the start while they keep adjusting the dose, but I feel that by having my mood more stable I can handle a blood test every 6weeks or so.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by meluare Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:08 am

You shouldnt need blood tests more than 6 monthly once an appropriate dose is worked out and provided no problems are encounted

meluare

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Martinc Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:17 am

I've been on lithium now for nealry 2 years in combination with venlafaxine and some other stuff. (I'm bipolar 2). It seems to have kept me mostly stable - no highs or lows apart from two really deep depressions. My doctor has put me on thyroxine because apprently one of the side effects if something to do with the thyroid gland (as well as live function). I don't want to stay on this stuff forever, but right now I think I'm probably better off staying with it. Side effects - well I think it's the venlafaxine that puts me off to sleep - I sleep for at least 9 hours, otherwise nothing to write about.Martinc

Martinc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum