The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This may seem stupid but here I go!

+3
jaffakiwi
daze7
becks
7 posters

Go down

This may seem stupid but here I go! Empty This may seem stupid but here I go!

Post by becks Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 am

Ok so I feel a little stupid asking this but will anyway...how do you know if you are on the right dose of antidepressant? Like many of you I've tried quite a few different meds to try and find one that helps me. I'm on medication at the moment but I still feel quite depressed. I have this preconception that antidepressant medication won't make you feel 'happy' but rather will lessen depressed feelings. Is this a correct assumption regarding the happiness comment? Do any of you who take medication for depression feel happiness or any sort of contentment? I feel at my wits end in terms of medication. I've tried a LOT of different types and frankly I'm tired of the whole experience. I feel beaten down and exhausted by it. It's so frustrating and soul destroying. I would really appreciate any replies of your own experience and ideas about medication.
becks
becks

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-09-27

Back to top Go down

This may seem stupid but here I go! Empty Re: This may seem stupid but here I go!

Post by daze7 Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:12 am

Hello becks ........ I'm not sure if my medication does that much anymore ... it does help me sleep ...... but I have cut down many times and find myself a lot more tearful .... so I guess it does still work in some way!

Like you, I have tried other meds but always come back to Dopress, as one or two of the others made me feel much worse! and I don't want that. I'm on a fairly high dose now and haven't altered it for a long time now.

I try to follow a 'programme' for depression which entails a bit of a routine which seems to work ( a bit )!

What things do you enjoy doing? that make you feel 'happy'?

I remember reading a 'do it yourself' book at some stage which pointed out that we're only 'happy' for fairly short periods of time, on an even keel for some of the time, blah for some of the time, and it's only when the 'blah' times are too many, or for too long, that help may be needed.

I do believe that support groups - long-term, would be a great idea in the community but they're few and far between. Just to share your week and listen to others is helpful.

Hugs for you becks - wish there was more I could do! .......... Daze

daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

This may seem stupid but here I go! Empty Re: This may seem stupid but here I go!

Post by jaffakiwi Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:18 am

Doctors tend to start you on a recommended dose, but usually have the option to increase it if it's not working.

Remember to give the drugs time. They can take from 3-6 weeks to have the desired effects (why the undesired ones usually start immediately!).

Having said all of the above, I have found that no drugs help me. Sad Good luck.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:18 am

I have been on and off many types of medications over many years.....none have ever had a miracle effect. I started on depression meds around 13 or 14, now 44....I think for some of us, depression is the default.

Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazskye Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 am

i too have been through alot of med changes, the first few i was on, i definitely felt happy, it was a very noticeable feeling, but like all my med's it didnt last long, i am currently taking doxepin at a high dosage, but so far not much has changed except they make me sleep...
But your rite all the changes definitely dont help with your head much, my psychiatrist is currently trying B6 and B12 to see if that changes anything, apparently B6 helps to absorb the meds and B12 is for your brain so thats what im doing for now, maybe talk to your doc about it, the way i see it anything is worth a shot to not feel so crap about yourself.
Jazskye
Jazskye
Jazskye

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am

Dear Becks

I am on my 8th trial of antidepressants and so far so good. No the sadness doesn't go away, like Apricot said so wisely, depression is our "Default" like the one electric wire in the whole house that doesn't work.

I am however grateful for the absence of panic attacks and the fact that I am accepting of myself and realise for the first time in my adult life I don't need the approval of others, so my insight, judgment and discernment has improved.

Your being a (lentil munching sandal wearing hippy) social worker will know what I mean by even having these feelings with a modicum of self estteem thrown in since being on these tabs.

I, also like Daizy have tried all the new SSRI's but having had the brain zaps and the electric volts through my head gave up and my psychiatrist on his knees asked me to have one more go before I tried ect which I was willing to try.

I am back at work, (part time only) and still standing Becks.

Keep at it love please.

Love Martine

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:26 am

PS I also swallow a handful of 6 fishoil tablets every day.

It is well documented on several sites how EPA has a positive effect on mood disorders.

Its well used at a couple of CDHB's as a mood enhancer.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by meluare Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:19 am

Jazskye wrote:i too have been through alot of med changes, the first few i was on, i definitely felt happy, it was a very noticeable feeling, but like all my med's it didnt last long, i am currently taking doxepin at a high dosage, but so far not much has changed except they make me sleep...
But your rite all the changes definitely dont help with your head much, my psychiatrist is currently trying B6 and B12 to see if that changes anything, apparently B6 helps to absorb the meds and B12 is for your brain so thats what im doing for now, maybe talk to your doc about it, the way i see it anything is worth a shot to not feel so crap about yourself.
Jazskye

Hi Jazskye, I am curious about the vitamin B, is it oral and is it helping. I take a B complex and some other vitamins and minerals. I think they do help my meds but hard to quantify.

meluare

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazskye Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:48 am

Hey meluare, im not really sure if its helping or not yet, it takes about 6 weeks so im told before you notice any change and i've only been at it for about 2 now. what is a B complex tho?
Jazskye
Jazskye

Back to top Go down

Post by meluare Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 pm

A B complex is a combination of all the different B vitamins at the optumin dose. Mine is Golden Glow, Balanced B-50, which has B1 50mg, B2 50mg, B3 50mg, B5 50mg, B6 50mg, B12 50mcg, Folic acid 99mcg Choline Bitartrate 50mg, Biotin 50mcg, and Inositol 50mg.
I have heard it is better to take them collectively like that than say B6 on its own.

meluare

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread. Martine how much fish oil do you take a day?
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazskye Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks meluare, i mite talk to my psychiatrist bout it im on 50 mg of B6 and 1000 of the B12. Also becks to save money on the fish oil i've been told to take 2 a day some of the bottles tell you sometimes up to 6 a day, which seems a bit over kill to me but then i dont like popping pills haha
Jazskye
Jazskye

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 pm

The point is Becks, ( read the documentation) its amazing stuff. You need to take 6 tabs of fish oil a day to get the 1gm of EPA required for mood imbalances.

I hope the fish oil is helpful to you down here in Christchurch, wish we were mainlining Valium instead.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I have heard that stocks of rescue remedy are running out in Chch. Some I know went to five shops before she found a store that hadn't sold out.

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:54 am

Thanks Martine for that information. I like the mainlining Valium comment, it gave me a chuckle. I hope you and your four legged companions are coping ok Martine.
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down