They just don't get it!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

They just don't get it!!

Post by logical-cents on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:09 am

My parents that is. Today basically my parents were telling me I need to get 'rid' of this depression and that I'm choosing to be this way and should just be happy, talking as though I can flick a switch (wish it was that easy). They don't seem to believe that I'll ever be going back to Cambridge, and that if I do I won't be able to make it or manage. Dad thinks I should just stay here living at home and get a part-time job a few hours a week. Dad was comparing depression to a broken leg - it comes no where near a broken leg, and convo ended up basically with them saying that when I go back to Cambridge they don't want to hear anything about my health.
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: They just don't get it!!

Post by lil_miss_haley on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:47 am

LC, I really feel for you hun. Its frustrating when people just don't understand, but would be so much worse having your parents like that!! Then being unsupportive when you try to expain that you don't CHOOSE to be depressed, its just how you work. I don't know anyone who would choose to be depressed and who wouldnt get rid of it if they could
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 am

Yea I thought that by agreeing to come down here and being told that my parents will support me would help. Well they doing the opposite and not being supportive, shoulda stayed at home (Cambridge) and tried for Henry Bennet.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by nellya on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:10 am

I am really sorry to hear about your parents. I can imagine how it feels. my dad is the same, but at least i have the luxury of my mom trying to understand me. she doesn't always get it, but she tries and she listens. SO now, i kind of communicate with my dad only through her, otherwise we end up arguing and i end up really upset.
I thought maybe you could also talk to your mom ( or dad) separately one on one, maybe it would help them grasp what you are going through. I am sure they love you and want the best, they just don't know what "the best" is. I hope they will listen to you.
Keep trying to get better no matter what. you are not alone in this. I love you

nellya

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:17 am

Tried that Nell, doesn't work, had them at counseling/pysch appointments in the past and doesn't work. Mum and/or dad end up talking over top of the person as though they know what is best. Last pysch appt in Hamz 5 or so weeks ago mum came along with me, she basically told the pysch that I didn't need to be on all this medication. So no, family wise I am alone.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by nellya on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 am

I am sorry.
They sound just like my dad. he too only cares for his opinion and noone else's. Just do not forget that they are wrong. I know its difficult without family support, but at least do not let them put you down more.
I have to pretend to be happy and able with my family, so even with mom, it feels like i am alone, because she has to care for my 2 brothers and dad, so i feel quite isolated almost all the time, like i am not part of the family. so i can relate to your situation.
But you know, i found that even this is better than being totally alone. At least your parents can keep an eye on you, you know.
Keep believing in your self, and take the positive things that they have to offer, and ignore anything negative.
and you are the only one who knows whether the medication is helping, so if it does, keep taking it and be proud that you are trying to get better.

nellya

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks. It is just so hard to try to work on picking myself up when they is their negativity around. They just leave me alone most of the time, mum hardly spoke to me at all today, it's her birthday tomorrow. They haven't said one positive thing to me in the month I've been down here. The medication doesn't work, well the 2 anti-depressant one's don't, the other 4 do. But the GP thinks that could be coz they are treating depression and wonders if they should be treating bi-polar, but that will be up to the pysch's when I have my appointment on Thursday.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by rob on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Im sorry.

Some people dont get it. I have the same. My guess is that those here are like me and do get it.

I wish you all the best.

rob

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by traceylee on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:55 pm

my family dont get it either i hardly see them they dont make an effoct to come and see me at all so im always alone

traceylee

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by nellya on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:01 am

Hi LC.

How was your appointment with the psych today? Did they sort out your medication?

Hope things are ok and your parents don't bother you too much.

I've been really angry and frustrated with my father in the last couple of days. He is just so happy and enjoying life and expects everyone else to be cheerful and jumping up and down with joy too. But i am just miserable here.

nellya

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 am

Yea it went ok I guess. He's increased one of my meds and left the rest the same. Told me I should start on omega 3 or flax seed oil on top of everything I'm already taking.

Parents are ok I guess, kinda avoid talking much about my health or going back to Cambridge with them.

Yea people that expect everyone to be happy and cheerful etc are frustrating.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 am

oh and this guy said to me 'IF you live till 25 then things should settle down.'
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum