I have learnt how to knit!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have learnt how to knit!!!!!

Post by woppow on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Good morning everyone!!!

I am now in a good mood - the best I have been in for about 2 weeks now. And I put that down to doing stuff. If that makes sense.

I am currently half living at respite. and half living with my grandparents. Yesterday me and my granddad started making a new hutch for my rabbit. Smile And last night my nanna showed me how to knit!!! She tryed a couple of years ago to teach me but I kept stuffing it up.
I am first going to make a little teddy bear. and then I am going to make myself a scarf!! She said I look like I have been knitting for years Smile I feel sooo proud!!!
woppow

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: I have learnt how to knit!!!!!

Post by robertca on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Very Happy awsome good on you learning something new sunny

robertca

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey good on ya Wop, how is Hope??
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaden&co on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Knit me some pink socks ! I love you

Vaden&co

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:36 am

woppow wrote:Good morning everyone!!!

I am now in a good mood - the best I have been in for about 2 weeks now. And I put that down to doing stuff. If that makes sense.

I am currently half living at respite. and half living with my grandparents. Yesterday me and my granddad started making a new hutch for my rabbit. Smile And last night my nanna showed me how to knit!!! She tryed a couple of years ago to teach me but I kept stuffing it up.
I am first going to make a little teddy bear. and then I am going to make myself a scarf!! She said I look like I have been knitting for years Smile I feel sooo proud!!!

Awsome! It can be very relaxing! I taught myself to knit and love it. I enjoy making baby clothes and children's wear and donating them to the local hospice shop or giving them away to friends.

Plus love your bunny's penthouse! I would love one like that for my dwarf lop eared bunny. She use to live in the house and use a litter box until she went on a gnawing rampage. Very Happy
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 am

Hope is great. altho she is getting smarter! and bigger! LOL.

My Nana is knitting stuff to send over seas. and once I have made all the things I want to I am going to make stuff to give to others.

As for making socks. I asked my Nana how hard that would be. She said I would need 4 needles!!!!
woppow

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 am

Blimey, Something Else you can do that I never learnt how to.

I 'revolted' against learning to knit as a boy, in part because every observed fault, such as a dropped or split stitch or a dozen extra ones in one row, used to end in tears - mine.

But recently, since a few of you lot here have been talking about learning and how much fun you're having, I've been wondering where I can go to ask for help to learn to knit. Maybe the old gals at the local Op Shop would know someone here to teach a slow learner. That might be a task to look forward to next week - asking for help, Paddy.

Tell ya what Wop, if I do learn, I'll do a Scarf in your Honour 'cos its you who will have motivated me. Thanks, hon.

Paddy.
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Awesome Paddy! Go for it!!! Good on you!!! A lot of people don't realise that knitting,crochet, and macrame originate with men. Sailors invented these arts to keep them busy and warm at sea.

The old girls at the op shop would be happy to teach a young fella like yourself. bounce
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 am

Good on you Paddy!!!!

here a pic of how much I have done so far [img][/img]
woppow

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:40 am

That's great Woppow - so neat ..... maybe you can teach me!!
Daze
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 am

Hey wop, that looks neat. You've inspired me to look into maybe starting to learn again. Used to knit when I was bout 8-9yrs.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Thats fantastic wop! Your've inspired me to ask my nana how to knit, I'm sure she would love to pass her skills on to someone.
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 am

They're nice even stiches, good tension etc. Howja do THAT, Wop?

I never could and every attempt used to end in a 'Paddy', with needles, wool, bottom lip, all thrown accross the sitting room as I stormed off to bed, very early usually.

Truely Wop, I used to loathe the thought even of knitting but it seems the more I learn of your achievements, its look'n more 'n more like a good idea - hey, and I bet the needles come in handy for poking inquisitive pets away? Hehe, look out TBT.

I bet its more fun knitting, than it is Facebooking, whatever that is, too.

Thanks Hon, for showing us your work so far - even the colours look cool. I bet my ole Teddy Bear would like a winter suit - poor wee buggers been naked nearly 50 years, pffft. I wouldn't allow him to be 'dressed'. Maybe I should allow for his age and knit him a suit, pffft.

Oh, and do you give Internet based lessons, Wop? Maybe a uTube on it, for dunces like me, hon?

How do ya make the bloody stitches in the first place? Casting On I think its called? It was Impossible. Mother used to have to 'start' by doing the First Row for me. I remember the difference between 'plain 'n purl' front 'n back of the stitch, since ya asked; haha, see, I did know. Was it called 'stocking stitch?'

Thanks for your Inspiration, Young Lady,

Paddy
(without the Dropped Lip, these days, too. Well, k, not EVERY day, but sometimes, lol)
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by becks on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:58 am

You go Wop!! It looks like you have inspired lots of us to take up knitting. We could have a little knitting TBBD group! I'd like to learn how to knit and might just ask someone to teach me too. I could start with a winter scarf perhaps? Hmmm... Will keep you posted. flower
becks

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:28 am

I am glad I have inspired people Smile.

Paddy I think ur bear would love some clothes. Yes it is a bit hard to start with. But once you get the hang of it, it doesnt go across the other side of the room as much Razz.
I had to get my nana to start it for me :S. But I willl find out, this weekend.

I might make a youtube account just for people off here who want to learn but arent tooo sure. It might take me a while tho.

lil_miss_haley - I am sure ur nana will love that. I know my nana loves sharing her knowledge.
woppow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:00 pm

cheers another inspired member over here cheers

flower Ta Woppow, so good to read your in a good mood and this is helped by knitting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:24 am

Last edited by wowinnz on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:21 am

Hey Wop

What size needles are you using?? I'm gonna start a patchwork blanket with lots of different color squares. I'm using a cheap ball of wool at moment to practice with first and the needles are size 6. I think I'm doing it right, it just doesn't really look right and wondering if it's coz of the size of needles. If it is, think will have to get a bit smaller pair to do the blanket with.
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:22 am

Ok, it all good, now I've got more rows done it looks normal. lol
logical-cents

Back to top Go down