The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[b]WINZ[/b]

+2
Apricot
Martine
6 posters

Go down

[b]WINZ[/b] Empty [b]WINZ[/b]

Post by Martine Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 am

Oh my god I went into winz today with my disability application and the guy said 'look its not as if you are an amputee is it"

I was sobbing and couldn't stop, just couldn't stop with a letter from a psychiatrist and the guy gave me two job vacancies to apply for.

I am shocked and stunned.

I want a job because I think I would feel better but the psychiatrist said that it must be obvious to anybody that I am depressed and doesn't recommend me applying for jobs at present due to my obvious anxiety.

God I hope I get through this WINZ is a waking horror story.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

[b]WINZ[/b] Empty Re: [b]WINZ[/b]

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:30 am

I would be putting a complaint into the office as that lack of customer service is unacceptable.

Maybe if you go in with an advocate next time.

Instead of getting a paid job it you might think of voluntary work, just a couple of hours a week. I have found voluntary work very help with my recovery and helps me pass the time.

Last edited by Roswell on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added to the message)

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Roswell thanks for the reply, do you get enough to pay your rent?

I don't mind not eating so much as long as my dogs are OK.

I've been poor before so don't mind the auld claes and porridge.

I just need to know I can get my life back and not depend on these odious people, and have to be nice and civil to them.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 pm

They certainly can cause even more pressure for sure. Complain for definite. Not acceptable. Sometimes I think its almost a ploy to get a few of us to suicide.

Mind you, I have also had much the same treatment from MHU. I have very little time for them also.
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 pm

That is absolutely horrible, i second what Roswell said, put in a complaint. That is completely unacceptable behaviour.

My sickness benefit is coming up for renewal in two weeks time, and I am dreading it.

When I saw the WINZ person the first time, I asked him what the procedure is regarding depression. he said the case managers determine it on a case by case basis. A doctors certificate is not enough, you still have to convince the person you meet that you are depressed. Not just depressed but too depressed to work. What a horrible thing to have to prove.

I dunno what I'm gonna do if I'm not convincing enough =[

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by moonskr Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 pm

i'll third roswells advice, get yourself an advocate to take with you. If you ring your local cab they'll either have advocates there or tell you who does it in your area. Alot of people find when they go in with an advocate suddenly they're treated like a person and told of their full entitlements etc.

and i feel your pain, i dread my next review Sad

moonskr

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I would write a letter of complaint to the disabilities commissioner. You are being discrimated against by Winz for having a mental illness rather a physical illness. Got news for them, the brain so happens to be a physical part of the body, just because we can see it from the inside when it get sick doesn't mean doesn't mean it can't be just as serious an debilating as having something wrong with our body.

As for the case manager, you have a right to ask to have a different manager and write a letter of complaint to the area supervisor. Which they should give you if you ring the 0800.

Best of Luck Be strong girl! afro
Gabriell
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by moonskr Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm

no reason an amputee couldn't work anyway, i'm sure there's thousands of them who have learnt to manage their disablility and hold a full time job hehe [b]WINZ[/b] 705276

moonskr

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone here on sickness benefit can help me.

This is my first time ono a sicknes benefit. Apparently after the first month, you have to go back to your doctor and they write out another med cert. I called winz, and they said once I get the med cert from the doctor, I dont need an appoint with WINZ, just to go in and drop it off.

Does that sound right to anyone? I thought you had to go in and talk to winz every time. I'm kinda relieved I wont have to pour my heart out to a winz officer, but I wonder if I've been given the wrong advice?

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey Jaffa,

It is correct that once you are on a sickness benifit all you need to do is get the cert done again and drop it in to the office.

I think it might be different for the six month review (please don't quote me on this) and you have to go in. It is to make sure you are getting the right entitlements such as accommodation supplement and disability allowerance etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Westdude Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Jaffa kiwi !. Yep u just have to drop it off at the reception you can even get a friend to for you which helps ease the pressure . Then at 6 months is a review but remember you are entitled to have a support person at all mettings . Good luck and well done on getting the first main part done ! [b]WINZ[/b] 787356
Westdude
Westdude

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi Jaffa Kiwi! One thing I have learned with Winz which help, is also keep spare copies of whatever paperwork your dropping off. And check by phone at later date that info has been processed.

If you have meetings scheduled, even tho they have a dozen copies of your ID or whatever already file, they still want to take copies even tho they have a pile of them, just in case they need to add more paper to make a paper chain.
Gabriell
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:46 am

They wanted to see our marriage certificate ffs.

For proof of name change.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down