The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sleep

+6
Martine
Paddy
Gabriell
tryingmybest
diggingdeep
traceylee
10 posters

Go down

sleep Empty sleep

Post by traceylee Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:52 am

some nights are harder than others to get to sleep doc wont give me sleeping tablets then i end up being tired during the day so i cant win

traceylee

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

sleep Empty Re: sleep

Post by diggingdeep Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 am

I went to my doctor because of my lack of sleeping which comes hand in hand with my depression.
Didn't want to go back onto Zopiclone, it was horrible. And when I mentioned something more natural, he wrote me a script for Melatonin. Waiting for the pharmacy to get it in, should be here on Monday.

Perhaps you could talk to your GP about something like that?
I understand that feeling of not being able to win xx
diggingdeep
diggingdeep

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tryingmybest Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 am

Hello Digging deep and Traceylee,

I do sympathise heaps with you both. I also suffer from insomnia a great deal and often it is sooooo bad I just want to SCREEEEEEAM. I also get very tired in the afternoon due to not enough sleep. It is supposed to be a natural thing and the body should be able to just fall off to sleep on command, like breathing...I have tried Zopiclone, but it knocks you out the next day and becomes ineffective after awhile. In addition, I believe that sleeping tablets actually only give you more hours of sleep, rather than more quality sleep and the later is by far much more important. I have tried the Melatonin and it really had no effect for me - but everyone is different and it might work for you as I know others it has worked well for.
I actually believe now that the depression is a result of insomnia rather than the other way around! I recall last year having a relapse after not sleeping AT ALL for 6 nights in a row...I was about to kill someone or myself.
It has not become any better, and has been terrible lately, but I try to be less worried about it these days, as the more you worry about it the worse it becomes. Deep meditative breathing also helps, and imaging a waterfall surrounding you or something similar...the only trouble is that the waterfall then turns into something sinister in my mind and then I end up tossing and turning again.
If anyone else is reading this and knows how to relieve sleep deprivation in a natural way, please let me know.
All the best to you,
Tryingmybest
tryingmybest
tryingmybest

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 am

Sleep deprivation is a nightmare, excuse the pun. I have suffered with insomnia since my early teens and am now 46 yrs old.

When I am really desperate for sleep after a few weeks of broken sleep I take zoplicone. I have tried melatonin in the past it did help a little bit.

However, my man found a fantastic relaxation cd on trade me called rain forrest. It is a recording of heavy rain and birds in the trees without music. I find listening to that more helpful than the tablets.

Believe there were times when I wanted to do this sleep 143605
Gabriell
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 am

Hi, Gabby,

I have a cd of whales and dolphin sounds - I've heard it so often, I'm tempted to buy a Japanese whaling ship if I ever win Lotto. And I love whales and dolphins, I have an Orca tattoo even. I've just, heard it a bit too often these last few months.

If you're able to give the details of the cd, it might be something that others would benefit from too?. Thanks.

But for me, its a zoppi night, woohoo. Its been a while between sleeps.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabriell Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Paddy2 wrote:Hi, Gabby,

I have a cd of whales and dolphin sounds - I've heard it so often, I'm tempted to buy a Japanese whaling ship if I ever win Lotto. And I love whales and dolphins, I have an Orca tattoo even. I've just, heard it a bit too often these last few months.

If you're able to give the details of the cd, it might be something that others would benefit from too?. Thanks.

But for me, its a zoppi night, woohoo. Its been a while between sleeps.

We found it on www.trademe.co.nz under the cd section. It is just called Rainforrest. The seller has website as well. www.IBDproduction.com. They sell other tittles and the Cd are priced around $14.99 on trade-me.

I too had a zoppi night last night combined with rainforrest but managed to get at least 5 five hrs last night.

Having a bath or a massage before bed time helps me too. One of the last ditch efforts in an attempt for sleep was to think of all the names of the people who starred in Coronation St over the years. Beats the hell out sheep. sleep 925260
Gabriell
Gabriell

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

You guys are right about zopiclone, I have very vivid frightening dreams and wake up shattered and exhausted.

I wonder if a wee bit of marijuana would help. Just asking as I haven't tried it but believe you get wonderful sleeps after a smoke.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 am

I dont think marijuana use would help. There is a proven link between its use and scizopheneria (sp??) and other mental health issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46 am

I too have sleep issues, I have been on Quetiapine for several months now, its the best thing thats happened to me.

As for the idea of using weed, I am guessing you havent had much contact with the drug? I have had far too much! and I am only 17! Firstly, My Father - drinks every night. and cant do anything if he isnt high as a kite. The other day he asked for some cash, I gave him 20 dollars, I later found out it was spent on pot! He told me he needed it for a trademe deal!
My Brother- Has sooo many issues now I dont know where to start, he was able to live in a flat. Now he had to move back home! He started off stealing my dads pot. And then he tryed another drug - he couldnt sleep for a week. After being in hospital He stays off other drugs but its on pot everyday. He is meant to go and study this year. But he is far tooo sick! He spents all his time sleeping. or lying in bed being a veg!
and Myself - I used to get stoned 4 times a week. I thought it was ok. I was seeing shit that wasnt nice (that wasnt there) Since I have been drug free since the start of Nov last year, I havent seen things that arent there. My moods have stayed the same. I used it to make me chill, But now I am going to therapy and learning skills such as Mindfulness. Which bets any drugs!! And it ends up costing a bit. I just cant explain how much better I have been off it!

The idea of Pot is just dumb. - No offence, I know you were trying to help. But its the gateway drug
NEVER START EVEN A WEE BIT! IT WONT JUST STAY A WEE BIT!!!
woppow
woppow

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks Woppow you make perfect sense to a desperate woman.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by tryingmybest Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks Gabriel for that Rainforest CD reference. I will have to try that...sounds like the ticket.

My sleeplessness seems to be directly related to the degree of stress in my life. The other night I got 9 hours sleep after having resolution to a very big worry I had been carrying for several years.

When I woke, I could not believe how refreshed I felt, more refreshed than when taking Zoppy. WOW

...thanks guys for all your great suggestions...you all ROCK bigs...
tryingmybest
tryingmybest

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

sleep Empty Continuing sleep deprivation

Post by Nev Tue May 04, 2010 2:55 am

Well I've had problems with sleep for over three years now, and unfortunately Clonazepam was a REALLY bad way to go considering the temptation to OD, so now on Quetiapine after been on Zopiclone.... only bummer is that it tends to make you want to eat more and also now that I am looking for work again I don't want to be like a complete zombie during the day!! In reference to smoking MJ I do have a friend who does it every night just to make her nightmares abate.... the poor lass. And it is known to be a depressant, hence why I stopped using it.

Even in the past I have called the Hospital Psych Emergency to beg for medication, I was crying at the time and they said just to take myself off to an afterhours clinic which I couldn't afford and wasn't able to get there GRRRRR

Nev

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley Tue May 04, 2010 5:04 am

this is very weird but I am sleeping so well now since I am taking paroxerine.. celepram(sp) was no help ,flouox would knock me out about 2 in the afternoon but this doesnt..feeling so good on it..yeah hoo and just love the sleeping part
smiley
smiley

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 am

Lorazipam (for anxiety) worked really well for me to help me drift off to sleep - and none of those bloody disturbing dreams! Interested to hear how others have found melatonin as counsellor recommended trying it as Lorazipam is addictive...

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down