The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venlafaxine

5 posters

Go down

Venlafaxine Empty Venlafaxine

Post by becks Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Hello all. I have decided that I need to be back on Antidepressants so have started using Venlafaxine again. It has been a number of years since I have been taking medicine for Depression. Parodoxically, part of my Depressive behaviour is not taking my Antidepressants. Stupid eh! I think that because I have to take pain meds I just get sick of taking pills even though I know that they will help me.

flower I have been having Venlafaxine for three weeks now and haven't noticed a significant change. I know it can take time and I'm not taking the maximum that I was prescribed. I have talked to my Doctor and am just increasing the dose slowly. If I've been on Venlafaxine for a significant time and I have not noticed any changes then I'll try another medication. I want to start some form of counseling too but don't have a lot of money so will see about that. Onwards and upwards eh. cat
becks
becks

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-09-27

Back to top Go down

Venlafaxine Empty Re: Venlafaxine

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 am

Are you on a benefit Becks or on a low income, if so you may be able to get the disability allowerance which will cover some of the counselling cost. Also look up Rata Counselling, they are really good and their fee is negotiable.

Hope this helps

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks very much for that information Ros, it's useful. I will look in to Rata Counselling tomorrow. flower
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi all I must say that I'm getting tired of the side effects that Venlafaxine gives one. Razz I seem to have a splitting headache and it's really disrupted my sleeping patterns. It doesn't help that we have put our cat Pearl on a diet as she has been a bit too 'big boned' lately! She is hungry so now insists on waking us up from about 4:30am onwards. She does this by purring very loudly and sitting on top of us smooching us all the time.This morning she smooched my partners face and then licked it until he woke up... cupboard love eh! Venlafaxine 565675 I'm hoping the side effects lessen and that I start to feel better soon. sunny
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by dread05 Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 am

hi becks,
i know what you're saying about side affects.
i've been taking V for a year now,and find it's near impossible to sleep without zopiclone or quetiapine.
even dropping from 375mg to 75mg while i had ect still didn't help sleeping

dread05

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Dread that sleep thing is a bugger isn't it?! The ironic thing is that most people with Depression often have sleep difficulties anyway. How is the Venlafaxine working for you besides it effecting your sleep? cat
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:24 am

It affects my sleep too when the dosage goes over 75mg. Since they increased the dose of it a few weeks ago I've been getting less sleep at night (and sweats which don't help either). The thing is my other AD that I take at night is meant to help with sleep, but now that the venlafaxine has been increased I'm getting less sleep from that, so feeling more tired and harder to wake up in the morning because of my other AD. Can't win either way aye.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:31 am

Well I think I've nearly been taking Venlafaxine for long enough for it to work so it will be back to the Doctor for me. I'm feeling anxious about this because I wonder whether there is an Antidepressant I can take that will change things for me. I have been on quite a few over the years so fingers crossed there are still some that I can try that I haven't had before. I'm tired of the whole changeover from one med to another..I guess I want a quick fix..still, it would be great if there is something that could alleviate some of the thoughts and feelings. I am aware that I need to have some sort of therapy too so will look into that. Sigh...I am just so bloody tired of the struggle. It just feels so fucking hard sometimes. I don't think life should be like this 'cos this sure aint living the good life...where's the quality of life??? Rolling Eyes
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:02 am

Hi becks I agree with you there must be more to life than this/ Fearful thoughts and fearful lassitude.

I had to stop the venlafaxine because of the feelings of anger I suddenly developed, real rage and anger which just isn't me I'm rather a mouse really.

Becks I live in Christchurch as well and am going to Catholic social services for my counselling who only ask for a donation. If you haven't any money that's also Ok I gave them 50 bucks and they nearly fainted with my generosity so there u are and they were quite quick appointing me with a counsellor. I feel for you and I know you don't want sympathy but i know too a kind word goes a long way

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 am

Hi Martine and thanks for replying to my post. Smile Thank-you for suggesting Catholic Social Services for counselling. I'm not sure how it works, but need to mention that I am not religious so faith-based counselling would probably be ineffective for me.

It's very interesting to me what you have said about anger and Venlafaxine. Like you, I am not a moody person who gets or feels angry often. A few days ago I felt extremely angry about nothing really. This in itself doesn't sound like a big deal, however, I felt like this for an entire day and I could not understand why I felt like that. I have never felt such anger. I wonder if it was the effect of Venlafaxine? Damn meds. Rolling Eyes
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by becks Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Yuck! I must say that withdrawal is not a fun thing to do. I've had massive headaches and generally feel like 'death warmed up'. I can't wait to get this med out of my system. Onwards and upwards eh... Basketball This is how me head feels!!
becks
becks

Back to top Go down

Post by mistameenah Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 pm

gosh, it sounds awful what you are going through atm. i am on prozac, its the only medication i can take for depression as i have a very very low tolerance to the ssri meds. i am only on 10mg anything over that makes me doo lally.
but i was just wanting to let you know about melatonin. its for sleep. it isnt a sleeping pill so it dosnt knock u out. it just helps your body sleep. my son (14yr) was diagnosed with depression this year, he was having alot of trouble with sleep, quality sleep. i didnt want to give him any ssri meds as they can make things worse for the teenage brain. but my son got alot of relief from the melatonin. he was also taking 5htp, and he has improved alot. i know that long term sufferers of depression probably require something more "herby" than 5htp but maybe the melatonin will help get you some much needed rest at night.
especially while you are in transition with your meds.
mistameenah
mistameenah

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down