The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECT

4 posters

Go down

ECT Empty ECT

Post by Paddy Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 am

I thought I must start this Thread not just for our new Member dread 05 (Hiya) but for me too, 'cos its something I am considering raising with my GP.

ECT - Electro Convulsive Therapy -

"is ... administered under anesthetic and with muscle relaxants, by medical staff in an operating theatre. The end result is that the patient drifts off to sleep and wakes up a short time later unable to recall the details of the procedure. The most comon side-effects of ECT are confusion and memory loss for events surrounding the period of ECT treatment. This confusion and disorientation typically clears within an hour ..." (Source - Office of Director of Mental Health - Annual Report 2008 page 25.)

I understand that most sucessful treatments using ECT involve three or four 'sessions' to produce a lasting effect.

In my case I don't exactly feel like I'm flourishing on Aropax to be honest so I need to consider options which dont necessarily mean chopping and changing meds to find "The One", cos we aint found it in the past, so I'm thinking, why bother? And then I remember its 'cos this feels sucky and I know its possible to feel unsucky again and I'm impatient for it 'cos I reckon I could do with some more unsucky times, I could. I'm not sure what I'd do, but there must be rainbows and stuff tucked away there just waiting to noticed again. There just must be.

Hopefully (and I think it has) ECT as a treatment and procedure has improved its image a bit from my Sunnyside Days nearly a decade ago, cos I can't recall too many willingly lining up for it. I dunno.

Do you lot have any experieinces or thoughts on ECT as a threatment option?

Pat.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

ECT Empty Re: ECT

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:54 am

i've never had it, but it does sound scarey stuff

Last edited by mylife on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Psychiatric Twit of the Week
######## is the psychiatrist who flicks the switch for Shock Treatment in Auckland. He believes that the ‘treatment’ should be used more often.

He was quoted as saying: "I think it's probably under-utilised,"

The brain operates off millivolts (thousandths of a volt). Shock Treatment uses up to 460 volts. It is not hard to figure out that the ONLY result of passing up to 460 volts through the brain is brain damage.

Those who suffer through Shock Treatment have exactly the same symptoms as head trauma victims of traffic accidents. Brain damage is not the side effect of Shock Treatment, brain damage is the treatment.

I find it hard to buy the argument that some psychs are innocent of ill-intent, and genuinely don’t understand that they are causing brain damage with Shock Treatment, but just maybe it is true. In that spirit Alexa Srzich is our 'Psychiatric Twit of the Week'

Me

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:36 am

excellent post Me!

without ppl like that
we would leave behind the DARK-AGES completely
and enter entirely into the present!
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:45 am

PADDY,

My experience of Ppl who have had the ECT and survived,
is that they only loose their Spirit!

Having been processed, and released into society
they can still function reasonably well
without any highs or lows
but they're missing something VITAL!

They have no new-ideas and they loose their CHARACTER
after THE TREATMENT of TREATMENTS.

Now,
a question for you!
" Who is gonna run the shop when youre NOT HERE?"

Last edited by greasemonkey on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : red paint for ADDED-EMPHASIS)
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:22 am

greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 am

Paddy ask your doctor. I have asked around I know some who swear by it, but you need to weigh up the pros and cons in having it. Sometimes I think I would be better off if I had it but to lose more brain function if any is already damaged might be disastrous. That piece I put in here was talking about of my memory doctor. I could see if he would recommend a good site for you to look at if you want me to.

Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 am

Oops I didn't realize that his name was in it twice. Can you take it out for his sake. I google all my doctors and see if I can find anything about them that makes me uncomfortable. He is the nicest doctor of the lot of them and I didn't want his name to show on it.

Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Floss Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:48 am

I wouldnt know anything about it myself, but my mum who is a psychiatric nurse in Middlemore hospital reckons it does a lot of good. She has been a psych nurse for nearly 40 yrs and did her training in Kingseat an original nuthouse. It freaks me out personally but thats a reaction of the uninformed and ignorant.
Floss
Floss

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum